1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to make a website, please help.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Corvuscorax, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

The first thing is I need to choose a host. Is Wordpress appropriate for a simple school-based website? Or Squarespace? There seem to be so many possible hosts, and they all seem to be the same. Are they the same? or are some better than others, or better value than others. what if I want people to be able to add contributions, ? Any suggestions, recommendations or advice very gratefully received. Thank you

2. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

The very first thing is to check your school are happy for you to create a website as it will probably need safeguarding oversight, particularly if you are going to allow 3rd parties to communicate through it.

Many years ago I set up a number through different routes.
    1. Using a recognised host - 1and1, godaddy etc - these were fine but there was a cost overhead to factor in and quite often limits on space (database more than web space quite often) - if you're using a database driven site, which Wordpress etc are then it's worth checking how much you get with the cheaper packages. Bandwidth for a school isn't generally a problem.
    2. Using our own server. With a cooperative network manager and ISP we set up our own. Very straight-forward and pretty much unlimited space. Keeping the CMS up-to-date meant more management than using a recognised host. Cost was minimal.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Thank you for your help. That's very interesting I will investigate.

4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

You say School based. Do you want this site accessed only within the school or from outside? Inside makes life much easier.
    You can look at places like Wix. Many sites have website builder programs which make building a site very easy.

5. Corvuscorax

to be accessed from outside, It helping students set up a website that can be accessed by the local community, and that outsiders can contribute to

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I assume this website is something you have been asked to do or within your remit? If so ask neighbouring schools or others in your MAT or similar!

7. Corvuscorax

well, sort of included in a load of extra curricular stuff I've been asked to do. I don't really know what I'm doing, or whether its even possible. I have been doing some research, but as I said, all hosts look the same, and I have no idea which is better, that is why I am asking.

I also don't know if it is possible to allow other people to post on the site, but to be the moderator of all posts. I just don't know bout anything like this really. Yes I can maybe ask other people at school, but obviously not until the start of term, and it is supposed to be up and running by then.

8. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

If you are not already using it why not have s look at Google Suite For Education?

It is free and you can build a site using Google sites or an other and hosting is essentially free.

Websites can be set to internal or external which does help a lot with safeguarding etc.

pupils can work on the site at once from both home and school. Great for class projects.

There is unlimited storage for school accounts.

Veerwal and Corvuscorax like this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I wouldn't let other people be able to upload. I don't even let other members of my chorus upload to our chorus website. Some people have no filter.

10. Corvuscorax

so i need to be able to premoderate

11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Hence my suggestion, as it keeps it internal unless you allow it.