1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to make a good impression on PGCE school placements?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misswoodman, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm just about to start a PGCE in Primary French and am doing an observation week next week before I start the course.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to make a good impression on the staff and pupils? The school have said they'd love me to get stuck in with helping out in the classroom because the first week back is a bit chaotic but since it's only an observation week I don't want to come across too full-on or self-assured, especially since I've had no formal teacher training yet!
    Any suggestions of how I should behave/what I should wear etc would be gratefully received, and any other advice that will help me on future placements!
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Hi,
    I'm just about to start a PGCE in Primary French and am doing an observation week next week before I start the course.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to make a good impression on the staff and pupils? The school have said they'd love me to get stuck in with helping out in the classroom because the first week back is a bit chaotic but since it's only an observation week I don't want to come across too full-on or self-assured, especially since I've had no formal teacher training yet!
    Any suggestions of how I should behave/what I should wear etc would be gratefully received, and any other advice that will help me on future placements!
    Thanks in advance :)

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

With regards to clothes, err on the side of caution and go smart until you find out the dress code. Nothing too revealing, that will show cleavage/underwear etc. No jeans or trainers.
    As for behaviour, just be enthusiastic! Any teacher you're in with will be aware you're just starting training, so don't be afraid to ask them for guidance. You will find that some things come naturally, though, like sitting with some children during a Literacy lesson and helping them with spellings or shushing children who are talking during whole class teaching.
    I've always found that students who take a bit of initiative are of great benefit to the classroom. I'd never consider them to be above themselves!

4. Personally I'd take 'self assured and helpful' over 'sits in the corner making notes judgemental' any day. Good luck!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Wear? You could look at the 'does your school have a dress code?' thread on here, but it won't help you at all! Smart casual will be fine.

Be smiling and friendly. Adolescent strops are not for staff...well not those trying to make a good impression!

Let nothing be below you, we all mop up gross things or do filing sometimes whatever the workload agreement says.

If you want to disagree with the class teacher, do it away from the children.

You do need to be confident, you are effectively a 'teacher' and need to be so. However you will need to accept that the classteacher is in charge. Use your initiative and common sense and you can't go far wrong.

And enjoy it! Teaching is a fabulous job!