1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to link Stone Age to NC objectives Year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Brommie, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Brommie

Brommie New commenter

Our school has a huge focus on linking our topic planning to the new objectives. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do with my Year 5 class and the Stone Age as a topic. Our SIP is also really hot on seeing progression across the year groups (all of KS 2 do the same topic)
    Fingers crossed!

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

If all of ks2 are learning the stone age then it's the history leader's job to plan progression for you all.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You really need to talk to your year 6 colleague and plan it together. Ideally 3 and 4 as well.

Stone Age Boy is a great book, but might be a bit young for year 5....though was a challenge for year 3, so depends on your cohort.
    You can create your own money in maths, don't necessarily use a decimal system...could lead to algebra. Similarly measuring system.
    Clay jewellery is great...put the holes through the beads before leaving it to dry and make them bigger than you think you need!
    Mod roc for round houses with straw for roofs is really good...google to see great examples.
    Geography...look at maps of stone circles across the UK, lots of bits online about stonehenge and skara brae.

These are activities, I'm a bit out of touch with objective for year 5 these days. Sorry.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

What book will you be reading? That's always my starting point - thinking about writing outcomes linked to different parts of the book and matching the objectives to these.

5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Isn't there an objective about ordering events chronologically? Year 3 did find it quite hard (independent task and we did Stone Age to Iron Age so broader period of time) but year 5 would find it much easier as they will have experience of working with much larger numbers in maths (also link re negative numbers). Does get a bit complicated as they switch from years ago to BCE so might need to explain/adjust for that but good chance for deepening thinking!

If you do it cross-curricularly, for maths you can also look at giant animals and how much bigger they were than the approximate modern day equivalence (scaling problems).

You can also try and draw/model scale models of going back in time although it does get a bit complicated - you need a big field/playground!

Portals to the Past (I think!) did a very good day as our WOW day at the start of the topic with lots of objects to handle.

I have to confess I am struggling to see how you show that year 6 are doing more than year 5 though, especially as so much depends on the children and what questions they ask...

6. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Oh a nice thing to look at - depending on your access to resources - that year 5 would probably cope with that earlier years would probably not - is to look at how do we know about the past - - depending on what other periods of history yet might have some interesting ideas already - i.e. different types of sources and the lack of written sources from this period. (Could link to developments in Cave Art too) You could even find an example of when archaeologists have changed their opinion about what something is for or means.

Also if you've already done the materials topic in science it might lead to some interesting conversations about the durability of materials.