1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to level a child with autism?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESLAB, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

I have a Year 2 child with autism who is unable to take a SATs paper because they would not be able to access it. I have spoken with the SENCO, the HT, various colleagues and no-one is too sure how to level him. In reading, he is on the Orange books in Read, Write, Inc which puts his decoding at a 1a - he reads words by sight and is unable to sound out words or learn to read using phonics - he is unable to answer any questions about a text so I am not sure of his understanding, although he does laugh in the right places and uses pictures to help him (a word was night and he said 'dark', from using the picture). Would this put him within the P levels because I cannot evidence his comprehension? With his writing, he doesn't write independently ever. However, he can say a story, TA scribes it, he then copies it and puts all her lower case in to his upper case - so again, there is some understanding there, but not able to evidence independent writing. Maths he takes part in various activities and has some good understanding, so I am able to give him a level of 1a by using APP. Any advice you could give about his reading and writing levels would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

Have you tried other ways of checking apart from questioning? I have 2 boys with Autism in my class and we ask questions, get the children to draw, sequence stories from pictures, and much more. Without knowing the child and his communication skills it is hard to advise. Having said that he sounds similar to one of my boys who reads well by remembering words but cannot sound out words, understand or match rhyming words etc. He will, however, recall and comment on stories but only if they are relevant to his own interests. I use P levels to assess.
    My TAs have a copy of the Pscale criteria and cross off bits they feel have been covered and which have been achieved as they are working with the children. They make a note of what was done when to cross reference with books or daily obs books. Makes it easier at the end of term and gives a quick reference for planning next steps.

3. zannar

zannar New commenter

Sorry, I should add that I am by no means an expert but this helps me.
    Hope it helps in some small way.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My child with Autism reads well (stage 5 and 6, though reads 7 with me and would be on 7 if the TA let me move him on! Don't ask! ) and answers questions orally. He reads with expression, taking account of punctuation, and can find favourite passages and pictures when asked. He can answer questions that involve retrieving information. TA notes down anything noteworthy when reading with him.

He can access a comprehension paper in the sense of being able to read it and read the question, but then needs prompting to keep concentrating enough to answer the question. If an adult re-reads the question, he then answers it easily. The read passage, read question, think of answer, write answer is just too many stages for him.

With the SATs task reading he could manage a level 2 task well enough. Though he wasn't keen on doing so.
    All this seemed evidence enough for us to give him a 2c. I couldn't justify giving him more simply because he needs so much adult prompting to keep concentrating. I feel a 2b/2a child would just get on with it, without support.

No idea if this is right or wrong though.