1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to leave teaching.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Chirpy1, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

This is assuming you have not financially over-committed yourself kids/mortgage/debt. It does work and can be done. The biggest hurdle is the ridiculously long notice period teachers have to give - understandable but still a royal pain in the... SO unless you know people who can give you a job you will have to take the plunge and leave without a job. I would suggest Christmas because Supply is more buoyant. September has been a nightmare so far.

How to leave teaching I.

1) Save up at least 3k.
    2) Hand in you notice.
    3) Apply for jobs in areas where you worked before for those who didn't go straight into teacher.

How to leave teaching II
    (The straight from Uni brigade)
    1) Save up at least 4K.
    2) Hand in your notice.
    3) Go on supply (See number 1 very important).
    4) Retrain and get new qualifications whilst on supply.
    5) Apply for jobs.

Yes it can be done if you really want to. Not all jobs pay less than teachers pay.

You're welcome.

Good luck.

sl06, tsarina and agathamorse like this.
  2. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Obviously do your research first.
    And make sure you save the money first or you'll fall flat on your face.

3. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

I really needed this today! I've made a two year exit plan. Started yesterday.
    It's all about saving the money...

sl06, tsarina, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  4. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Precisely and good luck. I'm on the how to leave teaching II strand.

5. BioEm

BioEm Occasional commenter

As a straight from uni type I’d agree with most of this, except I wanted to get out and not do supply so I handed my notice in at May half term knowing I had until the end of August to get a job. That gives you quite a while to find a role outside of teaching and also do some temp or volunteer work over the summer, while you’re still paid from your teaching job, in order to get experience out of the sector.

I’m in a role that is my first out of teaching and earning less than I was on previously but I’ve cut my cloth accordingly and know that I’m gaining valuable non-teaching experience while I do it. I know I’m a good worker who is reliable and organised and have no doubt this job is a step in the direction of getting paid as much, if not more, as I did as a teacher, I just have to be canny with my cash in the meantime and dip into savings if necessary. In a few years I’m sure things will be very different for me career wise and it’s exciting not to know exactly what I’ll be doing.

It’s is easier to move to a lower paid job if you are lucky enough to have a supportive partner, so there’s that too.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  6. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

@BioEm Thanks for the contribution. Everyone there's another way of getting out :) .
    Also everyone you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Which is all fine and dandy if you have no dependants. If you are the main/ only breadwinner I would caution against this as you would need a more secure route out.

8. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

I wonder just how many people feel stuck in their teaching career due to the security it has for them? Having said that, how secure is teaching these days when we consider the amount of people who are being bullied out of the profession?

I also wonder what percentage of teachers are somewhat happy in their job?

agathamorse, henrypm0 and BioEm like this.
  9. BioEm

I completely agree with this. Had I been in a different situation (ie: without a husband who earns enough to allow me a career change) I shudder to think how I could have got out. I think I would have just ended up signed off with WRS indefinitely.

I don't think it's easy to get out whatever your circumstances, but if you are the breadwinner then it's far easier said that done.

I felt stuck due to the pay, holidays and pension. Scared to do much else, worried I couldn't due to being in teaching for 16 years. I wasn't happy and most of my colleagues weren't either, but some people can cope with that better than others. It was only when I sat down with my husband and we realised I could afford a drop in salary that I thought it even possible - if that hadn't happened I would still be teaching now, thinking I had little choice. And there are many in that position who don't have a way out, who don't have savings, who can't face the challenges and insecurity of leaving. It's a horrible catch-22 for some and I wish there were easier ways to leave so that those who want to but can't could have other options

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Chirpy1

Chirpy1 New commenter

Please read the first few sentences of my original post. I'm sure I put if you haven't overcommitted yourself....

Life is full of barriers. You just have to turn them into hurdles and clear them. If people want to leave they will revardlreg.

11. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I am I unable to leave due to having 2 dependent children and being the breadwinner, mortgage etc. I'm now off with WRS like @BioEm has commented in her post.
    I know you mentioned not being overcommitted in your OP, so knew you'd come back at me about his, but many desperate teachers use this forum and so I am pointing it out that those with committments need to make very careful choices.

BioEm and Billie73 like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well you've clearly been in teaching too long if you feel the compulsion to write down a differentiated exit plan

agathamorse, dellyj and BioEm like this.
  13. BioEm

:eek::D

Ain’t that the truth. That really made me giggle.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. BioEm

So sorry that you’re having such a hard time. I’m not meaning to sound trite with this but I do genuinely wish there was an easier route out of the job for people in situations like yours, it seems so unfair that teaching is one of very few professions that once you’re in it’s so hard to leave. I wish you lots of luck and hope that you’re managing to get better now you’re off for a while.

agathamorse likes this.