1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to keep your QTS details up-to-date

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by snowyhead, Nov 1, 2015.

1. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Something I have been thinking about: how do teachers keep their official record of QTS up-to-date now that the GTCE has been dissolved?

Until it was dissolved teachers paid an annual fee to the GTCE and could up-date personal details etc by completing a form they were sent annually. As part of the safer recruitment process employers must check the NCTL (National College of Teaching and Leadership) records to ensure that potential employees are not barred from teaching and that QTS has been awarded and is still current etc.

Until today I had not realised that teachers can keep their own records up-dated. I am not sure whether this makes the checking process smoother, but it might be worth a few moments of your time to ensure that your data is up-to-date and review what records are held about you. You can do this by following this link:

https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/SelfService/Login

jomaimai and oHelzo like this.
  2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you @smowyhead for a very helpful link.

You're not just a pretty face, are you!

Best wishes

snowyhead likes this.
  3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

:D

Must be the new face cream - because I'm worth it!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And the hair colour . . . ;)

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Useful link Snowy I have come across quite a few cases recently of very experienced teachers on the NCTL database who have not had their induction confirmed. This has included two deputy heads and one Head teacher.
    There seems to have been a bit of an administrative problem when the GTCE disbanded and the data was transferred.

snowyhead likes this.
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, a good point @welshwizard . Start checking , everyone!

Best wishes.

snowyhead likes this.
  7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

8. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Thanks @TheoGriff for getting this thread pinned to the top.:)

Hope it proves useful.

9. 576

576 Established commenter

Thank you.
    I like this.
    Back in the dark ages when I qualified we received a letter from DfE with our teacher reference on but no certificate saying I have QTS.
    Now I have one - downloaded from this site.
    :D
    I like certificates.

snowyhead likes this.
  10. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

Anyone not worried about the security of this? Seems that you can access personal details (such as dresses/contact numbers) as long as you have a national insurance number and teacher reference?