1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to keep your QTS details up-to-date

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by snowyhead, Nov 1, 2015.

1. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Something I have been thinking about: how do teachers keep their official record of QTS up-to-date now that the GTCE has been dissolved?

Until it was dissolved teachers paid an annual fee to the GTCE and could up-date personal details etc by completing a form they were sent annually. As part of the safer recruitment process employers must check the NCTL (National College of Teaching and Leadership) records to ensure that potential employees are not barred from teaching and that QTS has been awarded and is still current etc.

Until today I had not realised that teachers can keep their own records up-dated. I am not sure whether this makes the checking process smoother, but it might be worth a few moments of your time to ensure that your data is up-to-date and review what records are held about you. You can do this by following this link:

https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/SelfService/Login

midnight_angel and jomaimai like this.
  2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

That's interesting. I shall log in (out of curiosity, as I'm an early retiree ) as soon as I dig out my ref no.:)

snowyhead likes this.
  3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Bump.

cissy3 likes this.
  4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Damn. I've got to go soon so I won't have time today, but I will definitely be using this. (Shared/Limited use of 'puter)

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Thank you for making us all aware!

Shame there's nothing interesting much to read :( and you can't edit specifics beyond your address and contact details.

midnight_angel likes this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I doubt that any teacher would want there to be anything 'interesting much to read' as that would imply that they had been sanctioned or barred. One poster has told me that not all of their professional qualifications are listed and they have emailed the corrections to NCTL - so this is another option available.

You can print off a copy of your QTS certificate.

midnight_angel likes this.
  7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Now that is a handy thing to be able to do… so many lose them! :)

midnight_angel and snowyhead like this.
  8. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

9. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

snowyhead likes this.
  10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

QTS seems to count for nothing these days, so does it matter?

snowyhead likes this.
  11. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Thank you @snowyhead - I had not been aware of this, before you pointed it out.

I did log on, out of curiosity; they didn't actually have my correct address, so I was able to correct that :)

I am one of those who has carefully guarded my QTS, as well as Induction Completion, certificate, however I do know of others who have misplaced theirs (or in the case of one person I know, where there was a mix-up in her school's HR department, as she never received the certificate, despite completing her NQT year :O). I will pass on this website to them.

One thing I do like is the ability to be able to download a letter from the DfE, which can be addressed to 'New Employer' which confirms QTS status and date achieved. Most schools do just photocopy the actual certificates, but I like the idea of being able to pass on the letter to any new employers (in the future), in addition to the actual certificates; it looks all formal and very smart, I thought.

snowyhead likes this.
  12. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

It still does in maintained schools (which are becoming rarer by the day). The website also allows you to check that your personal details are up-to-date and correct and (as @midnight_angel has said) print off a letter from DfE as evidence of QTS and induction. Very useful if you plan to become a self-employed supply teacher.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@welshwizard has said :

So it's worth checking this, folks.

Great post @snowyhead !

Best wishes