1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to introduce the Tudors...???

Discussion in 'History' started by DeliBear, Aug 10, 2010.

1. DeliBear

DeliBear New commenter

Hi,
    I'm an NQT and wondering how to begin this topic with my class in September. It appears there are no "Big Books" for it...?
    My class is high EAL and SEN, (50% dyslexic), so I need something very visual...what I'm looking for is a DVD or Big Book that is like a child's version of David Starkey's monarchy!!??
    I would be eternally grateful for any pointers.....
    ...or is it reasonable for me to do my own Powerpoint with lots of pictures, and for me to verbally tell them the main story/points (I could include some key words that they have to pick out, or a bit of a quiz along the way, but I know that devising the Powerpoint could take me hours!)
    Thanks in advance!
    Deli

2. Big Book
    http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Primary/History/Ages7-11/TheBigPictureLiteracyFile/ISBN/EBigBooks/TheBigPictureLiteracyFile-TudorsEBigBookEBBkMUL.aspx

See my response a couple of threads down about DVDs.
    If you google 'tudor Powerpoint KS2' there are many powerpoints already made of which this site has some examples.
    http://www.topicbox.org.uk/History/Tudors/

It is entirely reasonable to do your own for the needs of your own class. These are usually the best resources of all.

Enjoy your NQT year, year four are a lovely year group to start with.

3. I teach this to year 8, and two very popular songs about the Tudors and Henry VIII can be found on youtube or the Horrible Histories site. They love singing along with 'divorce, beheaded and died'!

This website has got some good visual stuff too.
    http://www.sparklebox2.co.uk/topics/history/

4. That bit about the horrible histories song doesn't make any sense - sorry! Go on to the Horrible Histories site and find the Tudors song - one is called 'The Tudors' and the other one is 'Henry VIII'. What I was trying to say is that they're also available on youtube!

5. DeliBear

DeliBear New commenter

Thankyou to all the responses so far - really helpful....thia will be a god-send!

6. DeliBear

DeliBear New commenter

Hi again to both DREAMING and KLBH...

Wow, what a help. Just wanted to say thanks again - topic box is amazing - I was beginning to wonder how/where to start - now I have so much to choose from! I love the "Tudor estate agent" on Topic box as we are going to a small Tudor house near the school for our trip (Bishop's House in Sheffield).
    I think it's fantastic and heart-warming that people take their time to help others on this site - it has really made my day!

Thankyou! xx

7. I hope it all goes well! I presume you've already found www.schoolhistory.co.uk? If not, have a look there too.

8. likegoodwine

likegoodwine New commenter

Hi Deli What year group are you working with? First find out what they already know or they might get bored. Tudors are so popular many children know a lot already. Portraits are great. Give the children copies of a portrait and get them to talk about them, discuss background, clothing, who painted it, why it isn't a photograph etc. You could give different groups different portraits of the same monarch or give each group a different monarch. Bear in mind there is no way we can fit everything about the Tudors into the unit. Our job is to give them the enthusiasm and skills to find out for themselves. Don't be tempted to just tell them - they will have more fun finding out.

9. DeliBear

DeliBear New commenter

Hello Goodwine,
    It's Year 4....not sure they know anything about the Tudors! This is my first job so all i know is what they did last year, Vikings etc.
    I've managed 3 lesson plans so far, trying to mix it up a bit - a bit on Henry VIII, on his 6 wives, Tudor houses and making a model Tudor house (to do in Art), and I'm going to ask them to do their own Tudor style self-portrait using collage to give it lots of embellishment, and with objects in the picture to represent interests/achivements/personalities as a nice ice-breaker.
    Then we'll be doing some prep before our school trip to a Tudor house, some follow-up...and then I was thinking of getting them to to a jigsaw activity where each group finds out about exploration/life at sea, food/drink/banquets, diseases and cures, fashion, crime and punishment, entertainement and sport, and toys/games, or school life.
    Though the groups could pick one from a hat, and then they can decide how to present; Powerpoint, poster, drama scene, small booklet....or do you think I should direct them to one way of presenting (e.g Powerpoint?)
    I may be giving them too much choice which might make them flounder a bit.
    tell me what you think

10. likegoodwine

What you have planned sounds great. How long do you have to cover 'The Tudors'?

Bear in mind that you are not 'teaching the Tudors', you are 'helping the children to acquire the skills to find out about the Tudors'. I don't think you are giving them too much choice as long as you give them clear targets. Make sure they are experienced at notetaking/mind maps etc. or research won't be worthwhile. It IS a good idea to allow the children to choose their method of presentation for themselves as this accommodates different learning styles. However talk them through the reason for their choices explaining there won't be time to change their mind from powerpoint to play!! There's nothing like giving them an audience to prepare for, a date and target audience concentrate the mind. You could invite parents to come and watch/look at the complete presentations or 'exhibits', depending on how brave you're feeling. Alternatively show them to another year group. If your school is happy to let you work topic based you could spend 2 weeks on it and present at the end of the 2 weeks. There's a huge amount of literacy involved in this type of work. (Obviously not at the end of the Autumn Term - Christmas will be all consuming then.) Below I have set out something my colleague and I did last term. This may or may not help, feel free to ignore it but we enjoyed it so much I thought I'd share it.

We investigated Tudor monarchs with year 3. (Our History topics are split between four KS2 year groups so they are revisited giving the opportunity to look at some more complex areas in greater depth with the older children. e.g. legacy of ancient Greece, Tudor Exploration etc.) Lesson 1: We introduced the Tudors by getting the children to write down everything they knew about Tudors first by brainstorming in pairs/groups then writing down their own. It turned out they knew most about Henry VIII but that much was confused and inaccurate. e.g. 'He had 6 wives and beheaded them all.' Lesson 2: over a couple of days. We gave out envelopes to each group - differentiated according to content and each one a different monarch. The lower ability group's monarch was duplicated by another group. You can duplicate the monarchs there is more information about i.e. (Henry and Elizabeth). Content was pictures of portraits and artefacts, some basic written text and a list of websites. The children then spent time researching about their particular monarch. They then had to use their information to create a presentation about their king/queen. This could take any form they wished: poster, powerpoint, personal presentation to the class, written report. After that in the last 2 weeks of term, we got involved in one of Elizabeth I Tudor progresses. The children were to prepare a Tudor banquet for themselves and their parents. This had to involve entertaining the queen (to be chosen from one of the children - the one who knew most about Elizabeth I at the end of the unit ) and demonstrations of the activities. They researched bear baiting, hunting, dances, music, jousting and prepared a play about Henry VIII written by themselves. They all researched Tudor food and made paper mache versions. On the day (the day before the end of term so it was like a party) they all came dressed as Tudors for the banquet and brought real food. We re-enacted Elizabeth's arrival and then presented each group's work to parents. Bear baiting was done with shadow puppets, hunting was a play, jousting was a reenactment, dances were adapted from some country dances we already knew, music was performed by the children and the play was hilarious in true Tudor style. Each one was preceded by one group member giving an introduction. After that we all ate and shared with parents, whilst admiring the whale vomit and other amazing 'foods' on display! Great fun if a bit stressful at the end but we warned parents it was all done by the children so not to come with great expectations. The children were able to demonstrate their newly acquired knowledge and learned from each other. The parents loved it and were very supportive with research at home too.

11. likegoodwine

Sorry, that was incredibly long, hopefully not too irrelevant at the end there!

Another idea i had, bearing in mind you are doing everyday life/rich and poor is making a wattle and daub panel. I haven't done it myself but I know it is done. There may be a site online. There is a buildings museum in Bromsgrove called Avoncroft that does a one hour teaching session to make one. You could call them and ask for advice. They are mostly peopled by enthusiastic volunteers who are willing to help. They have resource packs though not very professional they are informative. The children could also try making a timber frame - a good DT exercise. There's also inventories for houses. I would recommend undertaking Tudor exploration/Life at sea as separate from everyday lfe/rich and poor. It is prescribed in the National Curriculum as such and leaves you with more scope. You could incorporate the Spanish Armada which has some fantastic possibilities. There's also the Americas and new imports... What tells you I love the Tudors?!

12. DeliBear

DeliBear New commenter

Wow Goodwine,
    Thank you so much - this is a real help - brilliant!!
    Yes, I may just be allowed to block out a couple of weeks for it, as the Literacy is recount - newspaper reports. We're going to write a report about Anne Boleyn - the "betrayal", treason, imprisonment and beheading, from different viewpoints (that's the idea anyway!)
    I would love to be able to get the children to compose a small "newspaper" complete with fashion coloumn, "Foody Friday" (the latest foodstuffs to arrive from overseas), a health column with medicinal cures for diseases, entertainment column (Shakepseare??!! although that's a whole new topic right there!) ....but you get the idea.
    I love the banquet idea too......wow, so much to think about, but great. Thanks so much for the advice and ideas. I was going to get the children to make Tudor houses.....seen a couple of sites for it, but I think I will have to make some of it up - but your wattle and daub panel idea could fit in nicely with that....!
    I can tell you love it, but also that you're extremely dedicated - the best quality in a teacher!
    xxx

13. Hello
    Try the National Portrait Gallery website. All their Tudor portraits can be viewed online, and the learning section has some great resources too.

http://www.npg.org.uk/

Good luck!

Rosie

14. luxio

luxio New commenter

I do a murder mystery "hook" lesson to introduce the Tudors - a dead scarecrow style body in tudor dress on a desk with a bucket below containing a "head" (football wearing a wig and drawn on face) with a sword nearby. The classroom is taped off by the Site Manager and, when the children are allowed in, there are clues around the room e.g. inkwell and quill, prayer book, pearl necklace, pleading letter to Henry "my husband", eye-witness account of the execution etc. which the children have to make notes about then use text books to research who the body might be. This later leads into writing a diary extract, a setting description and an historical story about escaping from the tower.
    We do the timeline activities and focus on Henry and his wives through portraits, factfiles etc. We hold a debate for and against Henry being allowed to divorce Catherine of Aragon - great for speaking and listening assessment. This is videoed, the children watch it and self assess then have another go making the improvements they have identified.
    For Tudor rich and poor, each child is assigned a role within the village and researches what their house would have been like, the jobs they would have done, their clothes and food. One day I announce that we have a thief in the village and they have to investigate Tudor forms of punishment to decide how the thief should be punished. We then hold a trial where each child has scripted their own argument, the punishment is voted on and carried out. The trial is done in Tudor costume and videoed for posterity! This crosses over into Literacy where we write a newspaper report of the theft and punishment - I got great writing from it last year because it was really meaningful to them.
    It worked very well last year and I am about to start it again this year so fingers crossed it goes as well this year.....

15. We used the song 'Oh what a very fine King' in our class assembly. The song teaches all about the character and interests of Henry VIII and it was very easy to learn. It is on the website www.musicalhistories.com

16. This sounds great. Do you have any resources for this that you could share?

17. hobgoblintc

hobgoblintc New commenter

Hi, we do a great play all about the Tudors called "All the World's a Stage" - introduces Elizabeth, Henry VIII, Shakespeare, Raleigh, Drake and more. Lots of fun and very educational. Have a look at our website to see more details - www.hobgoblintheatrecompany.co.uk