1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to introduce a seating plan into Year 2.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Grantcobbs, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Grantcobbs

Grantcobbs New commenter

Hi. I'm an NQT and as such have never established beginning of year routines of my own in a classroom.

My school requires a seating plan where the children sit at tables next to the same partner they are to talk to whilst on the carpet.

I've made a document showing which pairings sit where. Is there a good way to introduce this to the class on Monday?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

MAke it a game. Put a large copies on the whiteboard at the front and in other places around. Give the children time to look then send them to find where they should be sitting. Give a 'reward' (whatever your school system indicates) to the first table that has everyone in the right place.

Repeat, several times during the day, encouraging speedy but sensible going to tables.

We use a phonics program that tells us to hold up fingers (I don't but it works for others)
    1 stand up
    2 walk to stand behind your chair
    3 sit on your chair.

While you are setting your boundaries and expectations you could use this, or similar. At this time of year you need to be very, very insistent on childrne doing what you want and how. It's much easier to become lenient than to start lenient and have to reign them in. Future years will be much easier as you will be able to draw on your experience.

Good luck!

3. Grantcobbs

Grantcobbs New commenter

Thanks a tonne that sounds like a great idea. It'll almost be a bit of a map reading skill test.

I do hope it will be easier in future years as it's pretty hard now.

karabe23, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

What a stupid idea from the management. Sorry - I know this doesn't help but I would ignore it and pretend you 'forgot'!

Pomza likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It will get easier Grantcobbs.

Teaching routines will be one of the most important things you do and I like the idea of making it into a game and also giving plenty of praise and rewards.

After five years you will be an expert.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I'd do it the much less elaborate way of just putting books out (as a way of having names in places without having to actually write anything extra) in advance where they're going to be sitting, asking them to remember that, and possibly making a bit of a joke of practising going between their carpet and class places a few times to kill the dead few minutes before playtime etc.

But I'm old school and don't do faffing about to be trendy stuff.

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Just tell them where you want them to sit. They will soon get used to their places.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would too, but I'm not an NQT.
    NQTs generally are best advised to do as asked.