1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to increase salt intake.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ROSIEGIRL, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Yes, really.
    Daughter has been told that she needs to up her salt intake, but she's not a fan of salty foods - nuts, crisps, bacon etc..
    Any ideas of other foods that may help? I'd thought of smoked fish, hummous and the new fad for salted caramels but need some help please!

2. ROSIEGIRL

Yes, really.
    Daughter has been told that she needs to up her salt intake, but she's not a fan of salty foods - nuts, crisps, bacon etc..
    Any ideas of other foods that may help? I'd thought of smoked fish, hummous and the new fad for salted caramels but need some help please!

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Celery is high in salt and has the benefit of being otherwise very healthy.
    Celery soup - delicious
    Celery consomme - wonderful
    Celery juice - stunningly lovely
    Braised celery - superb
    Raw celery - also ace.

4. ROSIEGIRL

So celery! Good start - thanks!
    (Funny though, my memory of celery as a child is of people running salt along its groove before eating it. How salty must that have been?)

5. Most foods you buy contain sodium (I know table salt is a compound but sodium chloride sounds so awful - let us stick to the word salt...) - bread is one of the foods that contain quite a large amount without you realising.
    Lapin is our expert but if I remember rightly from all those worrying years when my kids were wee and I was trying to avoid salt for them...
    drinking chocolate
    ovaltine
    any biscuits you buy, really
    cornflakes!
    baking with salted butter
    fish!
    several cheeses - I am fairly sure camenbert and brie have a lot of salt. Other types I am sure too.
    Marmite!
    Vegemite!
    Jam.
    Is your daughter very sporty? Is that why she needs to uptake her salt intake?
    Just wondering, as it was always why I had to increase mine and still do.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

A high salt intake is needed in hot countried where you sweat a lot, doing a lot of physical stuff like sport would have the same effect as salt is lost through sweat and salt is needed to keep the chemistry of the body fluids working.
    Salt is added to foods to improve the flavour and is found in stock cubes, cheeses, breakfast cereals, many tinned and prepared food products, it is also a preservative.
    CQ, Jam, containing salt? New one to me!!

Here's a link to a web page all about increasing salt.

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/nutrition/a/0208_foods_salt.htm

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Good Lord! celtic, are you back again to squabble with me over the price of fish?
    've missed you. What have you been up to? A new romance? [​IMG]

8. ROSIEGIRL

It's not that she's sporty but she has low blood pressure (and has fainted a few times) and the doc has suggested that she ups her salt levels a bit.
    Thanks for the ideas and the link.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

10. I have chronic low blood pressure (even whilst I was a smoker, it was chronically low) so I know how difficult it is, especially if you want to avoid processed food.
    On top of that I was always very sporty, so that made it worse.
    I did all the fainty stuff in my teens - it does get easier as you get older (no consolation to her at the moment, I know).
    Prawns. That was my answer to the problem for years.
    Also mineral water with a high sodium content - which, typically German, I still buy today. I know in the UK you tend not to rely on bottled water.
    Whereas most folk here buy bottled water with low sodium levels, I look for high sodium levels (and high calcium levels).
    Aldi does a very, very good one - you can buy still or carbonated.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I seem to remember our very own egyptgirl has to ensure she takes in enough salt (or did pre-baby, at any rate). She should be able to offer tips. Unless I've got that completely wrong, that is!

12. I wish.
    I never get anywhere to meet a blinkin potential romantic partner.
    And on the rare occasions I meet one, he is not my type.

13. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Very well remembered Nick!
    I suffer from hyponatremia which is basically a lack of sodium in my body so I have to have extra salt in my diet to allow for this. Obviously, I'm monitored very closely by my GP and sometimes have to adjust it to get the balance right. I don't know if this is what your daughter has been diagnosed with Rosiegirl but for me I eat cured meats, smoked fish, salted nuts, salty cheese...oh, and Marmite is brilliant too!

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Cheese and shellfish are high in salt.

15. ROSIEGIRL

Thanks for all your suggestions. The problem is finding some salty foods that don't taste salty - she just doen't really like the taste of it, so crisps and nuts and marmite etc are not options. Celery and prawns are great though!