1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to improve my resources so they gain better popularity?

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by 13smith, Jun 29, 2018.

1. 13smith

13smith New commenter

Hi, I am a fairly new author who had plenty of resources made that I used to sell physically to people before I found TES. I used to gain plenty of profit from selling them that way as many people were interested in them. However, on TES I seem to be getting views but not many purchases and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could potentially improve resources so that they gain more recognition. Thank you.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

It's tempting to think that selling resources on TES is a relatively easy way to generate a decent sized income. I reality, I think the number of people who can actually claim to do that is relatively small, and they have to put in a great deal of time and effort to do it. If your resources sell, then I would continue doing what you have done, and treat any sales you might get from TES as an added bonus.

Remember that your resources on TES will be exposed to a significantly larger audience. Unfortunately, you have no guarantee you will sell more, simply because more people can see them. Your resources will also be evaluated in direct competition with many others on TES, in contrast to when you offered them to people directly.

If by gaining more recognition, you mean acknowledgement of the quality and usefulness of your resources, then you are at the mercy of the Review system. The review system lets users award a star rating to a resource, and also add their own comments on the quality and usefulness of that resource. In theory, getting good reviews of resources should boost sales. If you read through these forums, you will find various opinions on how effective (or otherwise) the current system is, and a range of suggestions on how it could be improved. You may also find a few suggestions buried in the TES Authors Forums, such as the blog on how to use social media to increase the audience you reach.

On the other hand, if by gaining more recognition, you actually mean increasing your sales, then perhaps the distinct lack of responses to your post is an indication of how willing other authors are likely to be, to help you to sell your resources at the expense of theirs.

JosieWhitehead, 13smith and mrajlong like this.
  3. TheIrishTeacher

TheIrishTeacher New commenter

Hi, how’s things!
    I started selling on TES nearly 2 years ago now. I’m by no means a huge earner, but I have recently engaged in sharing on social media which increased sales in my store. I created a Pinterest account and begun sharing my resources there. The more they get “re-pinned” the wider the audience grew that could potentially come across your resource on the internet.

I’m by no means an expert, just trying to offer a suggestion that may help your sales.

Best of luck :)

joannammarsh, MosaiK and 13smith like this.
  4. 13smith

13smith New commenter

Thank you :)

5. 13smith

13smith New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your guidance :)

6. MrMathsWorksheets

MrMathsWorksheets New commenter

thanks I was just about to post a new post with the same issue. I've just joined the TES community. My resources are well established in the maths world - but for some reason i'm getting loads of views with no sales. My theory is that it's the summer holidays so we have more students / kids on tes looking for holiday work, hence unwilling to pay.

However this thread has provided me with some answers. I think in the early stages I should lower my expectations especially as a newbie.

Cheers
    Chaun

I'm also toying around with prices - one day I dropped the prices to £1, nothing changed. So I've just priced them according to the standard and quality as I see fit - let's wait and see!

7. joannammarsh

joannammarsh New commenter

I've also tweaked prices to see if it makes any difference: it didn't. I find that creating high quality resources and just enjoying doing that in turn lends itself to sales. Posting up new resources regularly keeps your name 'out there' as new resources are shown at the top of the page for a while...this then leads buyers to look at your other products as they will be advertised on the link too....it's a funny game, but irresistibly playable!!

MosaiK and MrMathsWorksheets like this.
  8. MrMathsWorksheets

MrMathsWorksheets New commenter

I think this is really brilliant advice, and it's funny you say it because i only yesterday came to the same conclusion- that enjoyment is really the most important ingredient - i find it shows up better in the resources you end up creating also. yes its nice being paid for your hard work but at the same time - let's face it, no one really gets into this game without having lots of care and lots of fun!

cheers
    chaun

MosaiK likes this.