1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to help my NQT

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by linber, Oct 18, 2015.

1. linber

linber New commenter

My NQT is struggling with behaviour management, and I feel I now need to take a different approach to helping her, as I'm reiterating the same things. I did a formal observation last week in which basic routines were still not in place. I've just read some lesson observations from her PGCE mentors, in which the same issues arose (as you would expect), but I feel that not much progress is being made. I'm spending, willingly, a lot of time with my NQT, as I care about her well-being, but I feel a bit stuck!
    The advice I'm giving isn't being acted upon in any urgent manner, it seems.

Any constructive advice would be very much appreciated.

2. linber

linber New commenter

By the way, they've also had advice from other members of staff, and have observed experienced teachers.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

You are doing the right things.... The only thought I have here is that maybe she thinks you are all talking at her rather than with her, and that you're not listening to things as she sees them. That may be entirely unfair (sounds like it, from what you write here) but it might be a starting point for a new discussion, perhaps with her mentor. A difficult and uncomfortable approach might be to discuss the issue with some of the pupils she teaches (I appreciate the professional boundaries and the risks, and therefore the need to tread very carefully.)

linber likes this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Show her the PGCE comments, say you feel you've raised the same issues and ask her how she is going to improve on the situation. Don't offer her solutions but encourage her to think it through herself.

missrturner and linber like this.
  5. linber

linber New commenter

Hi - my NQT completely agrees with me, and gives me all the right answers (ie. the need for consistency, routines, assertiveness etc.) but doesn't seem to be putting this into action. I do make sure that I'm coaching rather than telling in our weekly meetings. After the lesson observation I did last week, I asked a couple of pupils about the behaviour in the class, and they reflected that she wasn't tough enough! I'll be sharing this on Tuesday with her. Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi linber

Buy your NQT a copy of Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Dix and later if they have time they could do an online course of the same name. Google Pivotal Education for the details. The prices for the online training are very reasonable; start with the book since she/he can dip in and out of the book and have it in the classroom.

There are scripts tomuse to manage most behaviour scenarios, but the book goes much further than that: it explains how teachers should learn how to manage their own behaviour first and gives examples of how to organise routines and how to decide what rewards to give.

It will be the best £15 you will invest. I work as a supply teacher and have to be able to manage behaviour and get a class organised and on task dealing with all types of what can be extreme behaviour. The strategies in this book enabled me to have more good days than bad.

The strategies are easy to implement and the book is written in an accessible style. In the end, if you giver the book and she doesn't try the strategies or the other advice you have given, then she has made a choice and you have done all you can. You are responsible up to a point, but she has to take the instruction and act upon it. It is best that she starts now since without being able to keep a class calm and on task, not much learning will be taking place and she may fail her induction. Maybe you should tell her that.

linber likes this.
  7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Have you tried Lesson Study? Put your NQT in a group with two experienced teachers. They work together to observe pupils in each other's lessons. Planning, discussing and interviewing pupils as the study progresses.