1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to help a new Mum

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by moomoon, Nov 1, 2011.

1. The first weeks of a new baby are really hard and a lot of people don't enjoy them (I didn't really)... I didn't like having visitors for too long in those days and hated the expectation of everyone wanting a cuddle.- we had one couple who TOTALLY outstayed their welcome- 2am when DD was 2 weeks :(! So try and field off visitors after a short stay,

Help with things like washing, cooking, cleaning are really helpful.

She will be ehxausted, hormonal and emotional but it will get easier and she will find her feet, keep on eye on her though.

Ask about taking baby out but at that stage I was enormously protective and would have HATED anyone taking her away without me- especially as we were just getting feeding established. You could stay in house with baby while she sleeps.... She may be fine with it but don't take it personally if she isn't! :)

If she is feeding bring her a drink and a snack during a feed- it is very draining.
    .... How is the feeding going?

2. Baby Blues often hit at day 4 as well, hormones arrive en masse and cause mother to become an emotional mess for a day or two so it could just have been this.... She will be fine as well....
    Also recognise that you are struggling too so, offer her support, but don't compromise your own well being too.

I kind of misread your op and thought you were staying, have no idea why. Being a single mum is hard but her family are supporting her too so you are being a friend by being there but don't put too much pressure on yourself...A few meals bought round to help her and stock up her freezer and a bit of cleaning will help a treat! Maybe offer to do a shop.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Thanks for the advice. I went round again tonight and she seemed a lot better and held the baby whenever she cried. She seemed tired but much better. I will pop round every couple of days to see how she is but I'm pretty sure she is getting her head around it all now.

4. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice about taking food around etc. My friend is doing well now. Very little sleep as her little girl has chronic colic. Poor thing. She is coping so well.