1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to help a child deal with their best friend leaving the school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by frothycoffee, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Two girls in my class are best friends, and unfortunately one of them is moving out of the area to a new school. What is the best way to help the girl who is left to get over feelings of lonliness. She does play with other children already, but her really close friend is the one who is leaving.
    Will there be a kind of grieving period?
    Thanks

2. Two girls in my class are best friends, and unfortunately one of them is moving out of the area to a new school. What is the best way to help the girl who is left to get over feelings of lonliness. She does play with other children already, but her really close friend is the one who is leaving.
    Will there be a kind of grieving period?
    Thanks

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Leave her to it and see what happens. Some children need nothing at all and some need a hug every now and then. Her remaining friends will be the best people to help her to be honest. Maybe a quick chat with them, send the girl to take the register back or something, on the first day alone to make sure the rest look after her will be enough.

Grieving??? She is moving away in an era of mobile phones and internet contact. I assume she isn't moving to the moon!