1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to have 5 fruit and veg a day!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shy anne, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I was diagnosed with very high BP two months ago and with medication it has reduced somewhat - still too high but not worrying my doctor as much. I also have slightly high cholesterol levels (5.7) so at my last appointment we discussed increasing my exercise levels (from zilch!) and improving my diet, which as I already eat quite healthy things, I was just advised to cut out my crisps from lunch (what can i have instead?) and make sure I have 5 fruit and veg a day.
    I love fruit but am not keen on veg and get a bit bored with salad so decided to have a drink of fruit juice each day as well.
    Lovely idea, very refreshing in the evening when the desire for nibbles hits me - but I am not sure the doctor will be very pleased that I added a big slug of gin to the juice tonight!! Reminds me of my youth when I used to nick a sip of my grans gin and orange made with the NHS oarange juice that babaies used to get!!

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oh I love you shy anne! You are a girly after my own heart.

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Shy Anne I'm glad to hear that you are looking after yourself and following doctor's orders so well.
    Isn't gin made from a berry? A berry is a fruit so adding gin to your orange juice doubles up your fruit intake. Result!
    Try eating your veg raw. Salad is nice with some vinegar and pepper if you aren't allowed mayonaise.

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Hi. My OH was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol. You can have Walkers baked crisps as they are only 1.1% saturated fat. He has switched to Benecol spread rather than butter or normal marge. We have switched to Hellman's "lighter than light" mayo. There are little things you can change without it seeming too hard. Good luck!

5. That's a lot of sugar.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm not great on veg either. I love tomatoes though so I have cherry tomatoes with my lunch and then either a pear or an apple. That's two of the five.
    Your fruit juice counts for another, whatever you add to it [​IMG]
    Half a can of baked beans or tin of tomatoes also counts. If you have the tin of tomatoes in a spag bol then all you need to do is add one kind of green veg on the side - frozen peas?
    If you go for a dinner without greens but with your baked beans then just have a banana for pudding or as a snack during the day.

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

for your 5 a day

glass of OJ for breakfast

apple and or banananananananannanananannana for lunch

sweet potato jacked spud, broccoli and carrots with chicken breast

all done!

other way is to ignore salad as you have to eat the whole lettuce to get a portion! and eat soups.

8. If you really hate veg, grate some into a bologese or stew - one carrot, one courgette, a couple of mashed toms or tinned toms - you already then have 3 portions in a stew or sauce.
    Have an apple in your morning break.
    A banana or pear in your afternoon break.
    Or throw some frozen berries onto a bowl of muesli or porridge for brekkie, or mix in yoghurt.
    Or nibble on some dried fruit.
    Add some slices of cucumber to a sarnie.
    Eat chilli with kidney beans.
    Or add chickpeas to a salad.
    Eat cauliflower cheese.
    Add peas to a shepherd's pie.

9. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Heinz tomato soup counts too but as CQ said about the juice, it probably contains a shedload of sugar!

10. Well I am off to double my fruit intake with another gin and OJ!!
    Seriously, I will not have a problem eating my 5 a day as I usually have fruit and yogurt for breakfast, two different fruits and some salad bits (raddish, peppers or tomatoes) with lunch and then some more fruit when I get home - currently got melon, pineapple and strawberries in my fridge. And not a vegetable (other than onions in my chilli) has passed my lips!! I do have some carrots which I will eat raw but do you think several pieces of homemade carrot cake will count instead?
    I will have to watch the natural sugar in all the fruit though as the calories will pile on, it is surprising how many calories I can eat in fruit!
    I will have to watch salt and saturated fats as well but am struggling a bit to understand food labels - yes, I am a bit thick! I would love to find a fat/salt list for all food stuffs like you can get when you are counting calories but cannot find one on the internet or in the local shops. I have bought some ryvita thins today and also some marmite rice cakes but suspect they will taste like fluffy cardboard!
    Have got benecol spread but it is not very nice tasting so might just have meat on dry bread for my sandwiches.

11. Try a thin spreading of mustard or tomato puree instead of the benecol.
    Or some low-fat cream cheese or quark.

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I used to use Laughing Cow Light on toast instead of spread.

13. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

I have a friend who counts chocolate covered raisins as her 5 a day.

14. dozymare1957

one fruit and one veg I presume?

15. dozymare1957

Well Shy Anne you've got the fruit part off so that's a good start. Carrot cake will definitely count as a veg. Remember to crumble it up first to let the calories escape. Alternatively, give a very large piece to someone else and then eat their leftovers - they get all the calories that way.
    I am concerned that there is salt and unsaturated fat in fruit as I was not aware of this. Trouble is, they don't come with labels for me to check. How did you find out and is there a list somewhere?[​IMG]
    Ricecakes = polystyrene. You will need to eat with your gin and orangejuice to wash these down your throat. When they crumble up they will stick all over your insides and you'll never be able to get rid of them. You know what polystyrene is like.
    Be careful about eating too many Ryvita thins. Have you seen ad? You'll turn into a Stepford Wife.

16. You should have used vodka. It's made from potatoes.

17. dozymare1957

Have both for a double whammy!

18. Don't wish to disappoint but potatoes don't count as veg! They are a veg but are such a starchy food they are classified as carbohydrate, nutritionally!

I know, I know! It's not fair!

19. dozymare1957

Seriously? Potatoes aren't a veg? That's so unfair!

20. Yup!
    In my previous life I had one hell of a job convincing clients of that! They all counted chips as 1 of their 5!
    Tis indeed most unfair!