1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to handle an incident letter? letter about things Ive done wrong.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Mrs_Ison2013, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hello All
    I need some advice! Ive been given a letter stating three different incidents that has happened while work for my school. I have been asked to respond in writing, but have no idea how to handle this.
    To give you some background, this was handed to me in an imformal meeting with my HOS and HOD. At the time I was very emotional anyway (my father was in intensive care and I had just started attending Therapy,) needless to say I broke down, had a panic attack and have been off for 5 weeks now. Alot of these 'incidents' seem like the sort of thing that they could have just spoke to me about, but they chose to write it down because they knew I wasnt in a good way.
    I now feel ready to handle this letter, but have no idea what to do. Should I contact NUT? or just write a response myself?. I have since decided to leave the school (this letter is just the tip of the iceberg) and will be handling my resignation in when I go back. should I still write a response? basically what would you do based on my info?

2. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

I am sorry to hear you have been placed in such a difficult position. Three things strike me:
    <ol>[*]When your father was in intensive care, did your employer know and if so were you adequately supported by the school?[*]When you broke down (had a panic atack) was it a member of staff who called for medical assistance or did this happen after the meeting?[*]Are you really fit enough to be in a position to make an informed judgement about whether or not to hand in your resignation?</ol>I would seek advice regarding the letter you have received. It strikes me that if your father was ill (even before entering intensive care) and you were largely unsupported at work then it could be argued that any 'incidents' you were involved in might have been avoided had you been properly supported. This is an important point because as a teacher you hold an important position of responsibility/duty of care towards the children you teach but you do not opperate in a vacuum and other people have a part to play too.
    I can understand you wanting to leave but please think carefully before you do anything. You may not realise that at this point in time that your actions are not necessarily rational (and indeed may not have been for some time). My dad died six years ago (today) and it is never something that you ever fully recover from.
    I make no excuses for professional incompentence but my gut feeling reading your post is that there is a lot more to this situation than meets the eye.So get all the advice you can - and then choose which bits to accept/ignore once (and only once) you are in a position to be a truly refelctive teacher who is able to give children the very best education you can.

3. In regards to my father going in to hospital, I had found
    out early morning before I got called in so they were aware that he was ill
    (kidney transplant) but not that it had hit a critical stage as it literally
    happened on the same day.</font>

I receive no medical assistance, just a glass of water and
    some time to calm down. I have to say that my HOS was insistent that these
    'incidents' were fixable and that she was not worried about my conducted, just
    she wanted me to have time to think about the incidents before responding as I
    was struggling with the other things in my life. </font>

Having had time off - I have made an extensive list of
    things that I have been called up on and the conclusion is that this is not the
    school for me. </font>

One example, I have been, for about a year, gluing a small
    piece of paper that tells the parents what sounds, words, maths and book we
    have looked at that week. One of my colleagues saw it and asked why I was doing
    it, that it was against homework policy and that I was making her and my other colleague
    look bad. We had a long discussion as a team about it, which ended in me saying
    that I hadn&rsquo;t meant anything malicious in it and that I would read up on the
    homework policy and not send it out any more. Another comment was that 'half of
    our parents won&rsquo;t even bother to look at it' regardless of the positive
    feedback I had from parents, I stopped doing it. The following week it was
    brought up at a phase meeting and in front of year 2, 1 and nursery, the HOD
    said that she had heard that &lsquo;some people&rsquo; were not sticking to the homework
    policy. I spoke up and said that as a team reception had discussed it and it
    was no longer an issue, my HOD went on for another 10 minutes explaining to me
    why I wasn&rsquo;t allowed to do it anymore. An absolutely needless, waste of everyone&rsquo;s
    time, and a way of reprimanding me in front of my colleagues. </font>

I would just like to say thank you to those who have been positive
    and after discussions with those who are close to me and aware of the struggles
    I am facing at the moment, I will not be letting some ugly troll try to beat me
    down. </font>

I would also like to add that I was scheduled to meet with
    the NUT this Thursday, but they have had to reschedule so that&rsquo;s why I came on
    the TES to see what other professionals thought. </font>

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Please get this thread pulled. Someone in your school could easily identify you from that post. Teacher support network is the best place to offload so much safely x

5. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I've PMed you, Mrs I.

6. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

I would agree - you need to be able to offload safely so removing this post is the way forward. I am sorry if I invited too much detail - I just wanted you to think more deeply before doing anything in haste. All the best..[​IMG]