1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to guide of gaining QTLS

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by debity, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Hello
    I would like to gain QTLS (somehow) but after a talk with University career advisor she told me that even she could not get an straight answer out of IFL. People on IFL telephone lines refered the advisor to the website, but when she looked at the website even she could not make head nor tail of it.What does that tell you?
    They gave her an e-mail address to sent a questions then get an answers- what good would that be if it's impossible to get a straight answer over teh telephone.
    Can someone please help with the mistery of gaining QTLS!
    I don't want to wait one month to get an answer! I've waited a year already.

Do I need to be teaching in FE before I can gain QTLS?

2. Hello debity
    What is your situation? If you have your PGCE and are at the end of your first year of teaching then there is no reason why you can't apply for QTLS now.If not, I suggest that you wait for a couple of months, so that you will have more to talk about in your document.
    The process is straight forward but laborious! If you are a member of IfL (I assume that you are), all you need to do is first of all complete the online form (very quick) saying that you intend to get QTLS through professional formation. Second, you log onto reflect (the online cpd recording programme) and complete the 10 steps needed to create a long document (each step has a question that you answer in detail with examples of qualification certificates, observation feedback forms, PGCE assignments etc as practical examples of what you've done as part of your practice when answering each question). Once completed, you then e-mail this document via reflect to someone who is also a member of IfL and has ideally known you professionally for 2 years (e.g. your line manager-don't worry if you haven't known the person for 2 years, IfL says that it can also be at your discretion if finding such a person is hard for you-I asked about this already when I did mine)to complete an online declaration which contains brief comments about your practice, how long the person has known you for and whether he/she would recommend you for QTLS. The person then e-mails the form back to youvia reflect and you send it together with your completed professional formation application to IfL via reflect. You then sit back, relax and see if you get approved or not.
    By the way, once you've declared that you're applying for QTLS, you only get a certain amount of time in which to get the application and supporting statement done. At the moment, the deadline is October and the review date is 31st December. The links for this deadline and some guidance about writing the document are here:
    http://www.ifl.ac.uk/cpd/qtls-atls/how-to-apply
    http://www.ifl.ac.uk/cpd/qtls-atls/resources
    When writing the document, the most helpful guide that I found was the Professional Formation Document Annexe.
    When talking to my line manager about completing the supporting statement, we found the following link helpful:
    http://www.ifl.ac.uk/cpd/qtls-atls/what-is-professional-formation-2/standardised-elements
    This link contains a guide to completing the supporting statement (near the bottom of the page-last line under section 3).
    I also found it helpful to read the QTLS applications of others, so I suggest that you speak to a colleague who has already done this if they will share their document with you via reflect.
    By the way, I've always found IfL to be extremely helpful in answering questions I had on QTLS (my line manager needed guidance on completing the supporting statement), to my surprise. IfL (again to my surprise) was also quick in responding to my e-mail request. Maybe you could try calling them in the morning when the lines are less busy and the advisers are better at listening to what you're asking.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

3. And the relevance of your post to the subject of this thread is...? [​IMG]

4. Hi anon326,
    Your message really interested me. I was forced to resign from my FE teaching post in April this year as I had not completed my PGCE qualification (I started teaching in 2005 and passed the first year of my PGCE, but did not complete the second for various reasons).
    Your post implies that I could have applied for QTLS via this secondary (IfL led) route of using my six years of teaching experience to complete an evidence-based application...does that sound correct?
    In which case, I would be very interested to know why my previous employer did not point this out to me at the time and forced me to hand in my notice, when I had been a Grade 1 teacher and subject co-ordinator, so obviously doing a decent job?!
    If you (or anyone!) could clarify, that would be great.

5. Since 2007 you need to gain two related things; an approved teaching qualification and QTLS.
    And you cannot gain QTLS without an approved L5 (or above) teaching qualification.