1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

how to go teach in the US when trained in UK? help

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by ameliepira, May 31, 2011.

  1. riapalmer89

    riapalmer89 New commenter

    Hi there, I am a British Primary School Teacher with 6 years experience and looking to move to Dallas in summer 2019. Could you advise me on how I would go about this? Or perhaps connect me to one of the people you know with a PGCE working there? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    You need to get an equivalancy certificate....google it
  3. loranp

    loranp New commenter

    The poster above is only partially correct. You need to have a teaching license for Texas - the equivalency certificate is only part of this. See more information here:

    More importantly, you need to have a visa that enables you to work in the US. Unfortunately given the current climate here, you are highly unlikely to find anywhere that will sponsor you, unless it is an international school.
  4. missyann09031

    missyann09031 New commenter

    I really hope you get this. We’re back in the states now, and my husband is STILL having issues getting the state of NV to recognize his British teaching license.

    This Cordell Hill company....what exactly did you use them for?? We have the translation saying that he’s a fully licensed teacher.

    They want him to provide that he is a fully licensed teacher but need it to be specific to “elementary education”. But they don’t do it that way in the U.K.

    I’m so frustrated with this!
  5. officiallukeg

    officiallukeg New commenter

    I am currently a UK teacher (in my second year of teaching) and I will be moving to the USA this summer to teach in New York as a full-time school teacher.

    The process to teach in the US from the UK is relatively straight forward providing you have been teaching in the UK for at least 2 years (this is the US requirement). You first need to find a sponsor; EPI and Participate are two organisations which don't require you to pay any fees, however, they only work with schools in states like NC, SC, VA and FL.

    In order to work in more desirable states such as NYC, CA DC, you will need to pay a significant fee to a designated sponsor. I went through a sponsor organisation called 'Teachers Council'. Whilst you do have to pay a large fee to have them sponsor you (approximately $3,000), teachers wages in places like NYC, CA and DC are considerably more than less-desirable states; therefore, it all averages out in my opinion. For example, as a 3rd year teacher, I was offered $68,000 per year for a particular school in New York.

    If you want to work in California, the process is more tricky. Unlike most other states whereby you can work as a teacher in some schools without having a state-specific teaching permit (just your QTS from the UK), in CA, almost all schools require their teachers to have a valid state teaching credential. I applied for this online (approximately £300) and had to submit many documents from the UK. Although I have now secured a job as a teacher in NYC, I have also been granted my teaching credential for California, allowing me to teach in all schools in California if I wanted to. This preliminary teaching credential is for 5-years and so I intend to relocate from NYC to California in a few years time to teach there.

    If anyone needs anything clarifying about the process, please feel free to reach out to me....
  6. 4444aneesa

    4444aneesa New commenter

    I know this is an old thread but was wondering if I could get advice.
    I am British and am set to marry my American fiance in the summer of 2020 as well as complete my undergrad degree in English Language. This will then be followed with a PGCE in English later in the year and will be completed by summer 2021.

    However, I am due to move to the US (GEORGIA) straight after getting my PGCE and will not have a chance to do an NQT and get any real teaching experience.
    Having looked at the states education website, I know I can get my qualifications translated to the US equivalent and visa should not be too much of a problem since I am marrying my US husband.

    I wanted to know if It would still able possible to teach in Georgia with the right British qualifications (PGCE) but not much teaching experience? For example, would I be able to teach after doing some sort of training (any guidance on this will be appreciated ie, name, length of training) or would I have to start studying all over again like a undergrad student?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

Share This Page