1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to go teach in the US when trained in UK? help

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by ameliepira, May 31, 2011.

1. fading

fading New commenter

Thanks for your reply Wotton!

2. Mel Campbell

Mel Campbell New commenter

Hi all.

I was hoping you may be able to offer some advice.

I'm from the UK originally but now living in America (Nevada). I am just awaiting my work permit/green card - whichever comes first. I'm married to an American and currently bored out of my brain waiting for permission to work.

I'm a qualified teacher having done my PGCE in Secondary citizenship in 2006/2007. I taught religious studies, history, citizenship, pshe and for one terrible year i also had English language to teach to both ks3 and ks4 (11-16 year olds for the Americans here.) I have worked in mainstream and Special Ed schools and also with special needs children and adults in charity settings e.g. barnardos. I also have a BA (hons) in criminology and sociology. After 5 years teaching I retrained and did a masters in social work and worked in child protection until I arrived here.

I'm looking into my options and am unsure at this point what I should do. Should I go back to teaching full time? If so is that easy to do? Do I have to do any additional qualifications to teach here. Should I start as a sub? I know the money isn't great but at least its gives me a refresher. I don't really fancy doing frontline SW again and my husband isnt all that keen either having seen how stressful it was in the UK.

Some American friends have suggested that my qualifications may be suitable for a guidance counsellor or other similar role. Is this correct? And if so how would I go about it?

Sorry for the long post but I just want to get a few ideas and work out what to do before my permit arrives (hopefully in the next couple of months).

3. no1kezza

no1kezza New commenter

Hi i have read a lot of these post but am still a bit confused, i spoke to an American Lawyer someone who helps with visas and was told that even thought i have 11 years experience of teaching with BSC sons and PGCE, it would be very unlikely for me to get a visa, unless it was done through an exchange programme. I don't want to do an exchange programme because I don't want to have to keep moving my children about but form what Iv seen a lot of them come with the 2 year home country thing. We are looking to get out there to live permanently and start a new life with the kids and husband. Iv seen the HB1 via is to recognised by most schools, and not sure if I'm right in thinking that the J1 visa is linked to the exchange programme and has the 2 year home thing attached to it?? Iv looked into Nord Anglia but again it is only temporary (although can we apply for permanent jobs or residency whilst working for these, or would we have to find a sponsor etc)
    Im wondering, is there anyone that has been in a similar position to me and have actually go out there to work (without having to come back to the uk??) Would really appreciate some help and advice x x

4. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

So what you want to do is immigrate to the USA.

5. Darthteacher

Darthteacher New commenter

It's a long, difficult and expensive process. I've been doing it for 15 years. I started on J1s, then worked my butt off and moved onto H1B, I am still trying to get my Green Card - I've been REALLY close to giving up because of the expense and stress of it. You need to go on a program and then move from the program to a H1B - it's all dependent on the school taking you on. You need to prove you are better than any other teacher applying for the same job. It's

6. hayley.love

hayley.love New commenter

Hi there,
    I saw your post and wondered how your search and subsequent move to New Mexico has gone. I am married to an American, and we are considering relocating to New Mexico also. I wondered if you have an advice regarding the process of licensing and teaching through the PED state website. Or any advice regarding UK agencies recruiting teachers etc. Thank you