1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

how to go teach in the US when trained in UK? help

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by ameliepira, May 31, 2011.

  1. fading

    fading New commenter

    Thanks for your reply Wotton!
  2. Mel Campbell

    Mel Campbell New commenter

    Hi all.

    I was hoping you may be able to offer some advice.

    I'm from the UK originally but now living in America (Nevada). I am just awaiting my work permit/green card - whichever comes first. I'm married to an American and currently bored out of my brain waiting for permission to work.

    I'm a qualified teacher having done my PGCE in Secondary citizenship in 2006/2007. I taught religious studies, history, citizenship, pshe and for one terrible year i also had English language to teach to both ks3 and ks4 (11-16 year olds for the Americans here.) I have worked in mainstream and Special Ed schools and also with special needs children and adults in charity settings e.g. barnardos. I also have a BA (hons) in criminology and sociology. After 5 years teaching I retrained and did a masters in social work and worked in child protection until I arrived here.

    I'm looking into my options and am unsure at this point what I should do. Should I go back to teaching full time? If so is that easy to do? Do I have to do any additional qualifications to teach here. Should I start as a sub? I know the money isn't great but at least its gives me a refresher. I don't really fancy doing frontline SW again and my husband isnt all that keen either having seen how stressful it was in the UK.

    Some American friends have suggested that my qualifications may be suitable for a guidance counsellor or other similar role. Is this correct? And if so how would I go about it?

    Sorry for the long post but I just want to get a few ideas and work out what to do before my permit arrives (hopefully in the next couple of months).
  3. no1kezza

    no1kezza New commenter

    Hi i have read a lot of these post but am still a bit confused, i spoke to an American Lawyer someone who helps with visas and was told that even thought i have 11 years experience of teaching with BSC sons and PGCE, it would be very unlikely for me to get a visa, unless it was done through an exchange programme. I don't want to do an exchange programme because I don't want to have to keep moving my children about but form what Iv seen a lot of them come with the 2 year home country thing. We are looking to get out there to live permanently and start a new life with the kids and husband. Iv seen the HB1 via is to recognised by most schools, and not sure if I'm right in thinking that the J1 visa is linked to the exchange programme and has the 2 year home thing attached to it?? Iv looked into Nord Anglia but again it is only temporary (although can we apply for permanent jobs or residency whilst working for these, or would we have to find a sponsor etc)
    Im wondering, is there anyone that has been in a similar position to me and have actually go out there to work (without having to come back to the uk??) Would really appreciate some help and advice x x
    richardwillis998 likes this.
  4. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    So what you want to do is immigrate to the USA.
  5. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    It's a long, difficult and expensive process. I've been doing it for 15 years. I started on J1s, then worked my butt off and moved onto H1B, I am still trying to get my Green Card - I've been REALLY close to giving up because of the expense and stress of it. You need to go on a program and then move from the program to a H1B - it's all dependent on the school taking you on. You need to prove you are better than any other teacher applying for the same job. It's
  6. hayley.love

    hayley.love New commenter

    Hi there,
    I saw your post and wondered how your search and subsequent move to New Mexico has gone. I am married to an American, and we are considering relocating to New Mexico also. I wondered if you have an advice regarding the process of licensing and teaching through the PED state website. Or any advice regarding UK agencies recruiting teachers etc. Thank you
  7. stuartpollard

    stuartpollard New commenter

    Hi, I'm looking for someone who has been through the process of moving to the states and also, has gone through the process of gaining a state teaching licence. I have contacted an organisation in NY who provide credential equivalencies, despite having a diploma, 4 year undergraduate, PGCE and CertTESOL, they could only provide an equivalency for my undergraduate, saying that the rest of my qualifications are not recognised in the states, and so they're unable to provide an equivancy. How can a PGCE not be recognised? They must have had millions asking about the eqivalency of that qualification. As I understand, to get a teaching job after I gain work authorisation, I will need a state licence, reading about the steps involved in this process has already confused me, so if possible, I'd like to speak to someone who has been through the process. Anyone out there? Thanks
  8. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    @stuartpollard I would look for another company, because the one you have found is talking out of their backsides. A PGCE is a level 7 qualification, and is the same level as an American Masters. Just a few google clicks will confirm this.
    Remember what the letters stand for? The "P" stands for Post....meaning after your undergraduate degree.
  9. missyann09031

    missyann09031 New commenter

    I’m not sure about this. My husband moved to the states in 2015. Previously he was a music and French teach in London for that 7 year prior to moving. We lived in Nevada and I had been working as a special needs teacher. We thought it would be so easy to transfer his qualifications. Wrong. In Nevada, the wouldn’t recognize his PGCE and were requiring him to go back and take teaching music courses so that he could earn his teaching music endorsement in order to teach. We were devastated. So we packed up and moved back to the UK (I’m on a spouse visa now).

    Unfortunately, I’m really not loving it and wanting to go back, so we’re looking into all of this all over again. I wish it wasn’t so complicated. And I wish there were some loopholes he could fall under to make this an easier trainsiton. He’s a beautiful teacher and any school would be so lucky to have him.
  10. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    I think it might be different for each state. I know of people working in Atlanta, Huston, Dallas, and California with a PGCE.
  11. missyann09031

    missyann09031 New commenter

    We are working on looking into it better this time than we did last time. Unfortunately, those aren’t states we really want to be in. I also think that because music is a specialty there, you have to have a Teaching Music degree. Which he obviously doesn’t have because it’s not required here in the UK. So that’s just another roadblock we have to face.

    It’s just so aggravating. He has SO MUCH experience. He has his BA (hons) in Music and modern foreign language and his PGCE plus a specialty in modern foreign language.

    I’m trying to figure out if it’s just a matter of him taking the Praxis, or if he’ll need to take additional courses in order to teach what he wants to teach.
  12. Lauren-miles1

    Lauren-miles1 New commenter

    Hi, I've been reading a lot of these posts. I have recently married an American and so I have spouse visa. I am also a teacher, I have a BA (Hons) and PGCE I must have looked on so many websites and I cannot find an answer on what to do to transfer my qualifications. We are currently living in Maryland.
  13. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  14. rachfernandes

    rachfernandes New commenter

    @Wotton Hello!
    I am looking for some advice please. I am a teacher in South East London (UK). I did Teach First and have been teaching for 4 years. I am a head of department for Business and Economics and a sixth form pastoral lead. I am hoping to teach in NYC for a year, or two I have a degree, PGCE and NPQML. There seems to be so much information out there, I am a little overwhelmed. Is there any advice you could give me please? Particularly on how my qualifications translate to US qualifications and what tests I would need to complete to apply for a teaching position in NYC? Ideally, I would teach Business/Economics, but I am aware that it is quite a niche subject. Thanks so much in advance.
  15. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    Sorry I've never taught in the USA. I just use google and always start with the state's own education web site as each state is different.
  16. bigday32

    bigday32 New commenter

    Hi, I'm looking for advice here really with my eyes on the distance future. I've got 14 years experience teaching in the UK independent boarding school system, been a head of department (5 yrs Computer Science), and heavily involved in boarding throughout. BSc, PGCE and MEd (School leadership). would any of that be of relevance in the US? How painful would the VISA application be? Would I have to start at the bottom? Any advice welcome..!

    Thank you.
  17. jomaimai

    jomaimai Established commenter

    If a school is interested in you, they will find the way to get you a visa.
    There is always a way or a waiver in requirements. All you need is a school that wants to hire you. I say this from experience.
  18. yeomissyeo

    yeomissyeo New commenter

    Hi there.

    I was wondering if you ever made any headway with this. My husband and I are trying to sort out his qualifications so we can move to the states (Nevada)...we lived there before and unfortunately the first translation of his qualifications only recognized his Bachelors of Arts-Music and French. And for his PGCE with a modern foreign language, they only recognized “15 credits towards a post graduate program for teaching French in a primary school”.....which is not at all what his PGCE program was. We’re currently trying to work everythingout and have them amend it. This time, we have a letter from his University stating what his program was, where he did his school placements, the cumulative hours of his school placements, his QTS, and other music certifications he’s gotten over the past couple years. I’m hoping all this extra work helps and that NV dept of Ed will recognize him as a certified teacher.

    I know each state is different but I just wondered if you got along with it all and if you were able to start teaching.
  19. Darthteacher

    Darthteacher New commenter

    Contact this group. I used these people to sort things out: https://www.wes.org/advisor-blog/understanding-wes-required-documents/

    I used this comany to work with: http://cordellhull.com/history/
  20. annedonnelly82

    annedonnelly82 New commenter

    I am currently in this position. I am not looking for a special ed role just an elementary teacher role. How did your search go? I have been searching and cannot find anything because I am not state certified.
    Any advice would be great.

Share This Page