1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

how to go teach in the US when trained in UK? help

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by ameliepira, May 31, 2011.

  1. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    I've found this website useful teachers-teachers.com you have to sign up first but it's worth the effort I think as there are a lot of vacancies. Iss a J1 visa or marrying a Us citizen the only two ways of getting a visa to work then in the US if ur from the UK?
  2. stargirl577

    stargirl577 New commenter

    The main type of visa people enter the US to work is called an H1B visa. If you can find a high need area, there is a great chance of finding a school to sponsor you. I did a quick search and found some interesting info:

    https://www.usavisanow.com/h-1b-visa/h1b-visa-resources/h-1b-visa-occupations/teachers/ Says that some districts are exempt from H1B quota caps. I'm thinking this must apply to large metro areas, but you'd need to do some research.

    http://www.texasteachers.org/resources/non-u-s-candidates/sponsors-for-h1-b-visa/ This site lists districts in Texas that sponsor H1B visas.

    So, it appears some public school districts do sponsor H1B visas. However, this would need to be a high need subject area where they have trouble filling with qualified candidates. Those are usually STEM subjects and special education.
  3. TThurston

    TThurston New commenter

    I know this is an old post- I am an NQT based in a London school. I was just wondering if you could give me more information in how you worked in the US. How did you get your degree changed over? What supply work did you teach? How long did the visa process/sponsorship take? How did you get a sponsor? Which type of visa ect? Was you only allowed to stay temporary? I am literally desperate to teach in America by the time I am 25 ... 3 years time! So I want to get the process started. You are the first post I have come across which has given me some hope. Thank you!
  4. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    Sign up to teachers-teachers.com There's millions of USA schools advertising jobs on there.
  5. Arsenalfc

    Arsenalfc New commenter

    Hi, I am a Brit married to an American and looking to train to become a teacher in California.
    I am wondering if anyone can let me know what the procedure is for this (study, training, certification etc) and how long it will take.

    I am a career changer with more than 10 years work experience and looking to teach Business at secondary/high school level.

    I am not sure which resources to use for reference.

    Many thanks in advance!
  6. stargirl577

    stargirl577 New commenter

    @Arsenalfc Are you already in California? I would search for teacher prep programs in CA in the area where you are/will be living. There are loads of alternate route certification programs in the States. It usually takes a year for the prep program and includes time student teaching. I hope that helps!
  7. Arsenalfc

    Arsenalfc New commenter

    @stargirl577 thanks so much for your response. To save you responding to more of my questions is there a forum similar to TES for California?
  8. abirodgers

    abirodgers New commenter

    I've just stumbled upon this thread after trying to find out how to go about getting a teaching post in New York, or even if I am eligible to work out there.
    I'm a UK trained primary school teacher, I have a BA(Hons) in primary teaching and have 8 years teaching experience, 7 of which have been spent in early years. I'm also an assistant head teacher, and have been for 2 years.
    I have no connections to the US, so will presumably have to apply for all the usual working visas but wanted to know how likely it be that I would be able to secure a teaching job if I gained a right right work? I would be coming alone do not withrth a husband, partner or family who asleep need work/supporting.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    EmTeeEm likes this.
  9. EmTeeEm

    EmTeeEm New commenter

    I am also curious as to the challenges of potentially working in the US,but am specifically interested in working in Florida. Any insight would be very helpful on the school system/areas of need there.
  10. Hi
    I am currently in my second year of teaching and have a BA (Hons) in Primary Education. My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating from the UK to the US in the next few years.
    I have family in California, so would possibly look at here. Can anyone say how easy/difficult it is for UK teachers to get a job over there? And give some advice as to first steps?!
  11. sdawson0

    sdawson0 New commenter

    I'm a UK qualified teacher living in Taiwan. I'm trying to apply for a job at a newly opened American school in neat Taipei, but one of the requirements is that they want teachers with US state teaching licences. Does anyone know how easy it is to get my PGCE certified reciprocally in the US? Thanks!
  12. miss_saigon

    miss_saigon New commenter

    This is from my own experience. Teaching in the US: we need to pass the PRAXIS tests according to your qualified areas (in my case maths or physics or chemistry etc). The salary is very low, comparing to the UK experienced teachers.

    To get the tenure (equivalent to a permanent contract in the U.K-in the UK we only need one year probation), in the US you need 10 years probation. You can get a teaching job pretty easily in the rural areas. In the inner city, we have to compete against local their home-grown teachers. Some of them are certified to teach for more than one areas or age-groups. I would rather to do private tutoring than teaching in the state schools. Kids are pretty roundy. You can look at private school sectors, too. However, you need to have a Master or PhD degrees. Teachers in the private schools tend to stay there for ever & staff turn over is very low.

    I do not think they accept our PGCE in small cities. Maybe California is more flexible with British qualifications as it is a large State. You also need to get the work permit. Unless you go through the scheme called, "Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program", then the employers will sort out the work visa/permit for you.

    You need to ask Department of Education Superintendent of the state you intend to work for, they will advice you how to do the transcripts and whether they accept British PGCE or not.

    Good luck!
  13. andrew07

    andrew07 Occasional commenter

    You can't. There are enough US trained teachers without the need for British trained. Sorry!
  14. susant_gurung

    susant_gurung New commenter

    @stargirl577 Hi, I am writing this for my fiance, we are in a long distance relation for a couple of years and now we are planning to move in together. We are exploring our career opportunities, I am a foreign medical doctor and preparing for my license in the USA, so I won't be able to tell her in which state I will be working. She is doing her final year in Bachelors of Education in U.K. Could you please give us any advice what she should do if we decide to live here in the USA. And yes, I have a permanent resident card.
    Thank you in advance.
  15. susant_gurung

    susant_gurung New commenter

    @toyahharris8 Hi, I know you have posted this question couple of month ago, could you please tell your experience or advice, My fiance is also doing BA (Hons) in Primary Education and she is planning to move in here with me.
    Thank you
  16. miss_saigon

    miss_saigon New commenter

    I am a UK trained teacher and eight years ago I joined my husband in the US. He is a US citizen. It took him over a year to petition so that I could have a "Conditional Temporary Green Card" for two years only. During that two years, I could not leave the US more than 6 months. Even when I got the permanent Green Card, I could not travel outside the US more than 6 months per year, otherwise my residency would be in question. I am not sure how long it would take for a Permanent Green Card resident to petition for their fiance. After two years, both of you will need to join the petition to apply to remove the condition so that she can get a ten year Green Card. For each time, the costs involved for the paperwork are quite a lot and you need to prove that your finance is strong to sponsor her. She also needs to go through many loops: for the finger prints, and for the interviews. The health insurance is a great problem in the US. It is very expensive and even when you have already paid for the premium, you still have to co-pay a lot if you need the health care services here. Regarding teaching in the primary sector: I think she will need to take the Praxis in the US and maybe require to do the training again. Their educational philosophy is not the same as the British. I am sure you are aware that even US Drs, dentists, teachers etc who move from one state to another still need to pass the Board exams before qualifying to practice in the new state. Moving from one culture to another is quite complicated.

    Good luck to both of you.
  17. Hello,

    I know this a slightly random reply but we are really struggling. We are relocating to Miami for a year and need some advice on schooling (and maybe tutoring) for our 8 year old daughter. As she will return to the UK Primary education system in Year 5 or 6 it is imperative that she remains aligned. Please can someone help or point us in the right direction?

    Thank you in advance,

    Ian and Natalie.
  18. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    Is home schooling a possibility? You could then just follow the national curriculum. You could see if they have a British curriculum school in Miami but it would be fee paying.
  19. fading

    fading New commenter

    Hi everyone,
    I've been reading everybody's messages and I have to say how useful this is to find out information and websites related to teaching in USA. I am Spanish with a English and Spanish Degree who moved to the UK six years ago and have been working as a secondary teacher for the past six years here (I got my degrees translated and obtained the QTS). My boyfriend is American and he will be relocated to New Mexico soon and we are planning for me to move to New Mexico with him the following school year but I am really lost! I don't know where to start looking or what I need or if there is any UK agency who recruits teachers to teach in USA? Could anybody give me a hand on this? I would really appreciate it :) Thank you in advance!
  20. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

Share This Page