1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to go teach in the US when trained in UK? help

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by ameliepira, May 31, 2011.

1. stargirl577

stargirl577 New commenter

@loralou I'm glad I could help! New York City/New Jersey areas should be pretty easy to find a position. Good luck to you!

I'm looking for secondary science positions, so if you have any advice, that would be great. Probably a big difference from primary. I am curious about one thing. Do you have kindergarten in the UK, or is it called something else?

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

In most areas of England children can start school if they are 4 years old by the beginning of September and will turn 5 before the 31st of August the following year. They would attend Reception class. In some areas they do not start until they are 5 years old. The statutory age for starting school is 5 in England , Scotland and Wales. In Scotland a child starts in Primary 1. Prior to this most children attend a Nursery or a community/school playgroup.

3. stargirl577

Thanks for the info @Wotton. So you'd call that reception instead of kindergarten.

4. Wotton

In areas where children don't start until the statuary age of 5 they may start in Year 1 so there isn't a direct link between reception and kindergarten. Year 1 comes under the national curriculum whereas reception is part of the early years curriculum. I'm I right in thinking that the age for starting school in the USA varies according to the state so it is a bit like that here in that it can vary between Education Authorities in different counties. 4-5 years Reception, 5-6 years Year 1, 6-7 Year 2, etc.

5. stargirl577

@Wotton, Thanks for the additional details. It does sound a bit different. We do have preschool, but it's voluntary. It's compulsory for students to start school in kindergarten at age 5, as our school systems across the country are K-12. So kindergarten students are 5-6, 1st grade is 6-7 and so on.

6. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

can I apply for a job in LA if I have a degree and PGCE and from the UK? I can stay at my friend's apartment for free. I teach music and have also taught maths as I have A level maths.

7. stargirl577

@musikteech The biggest hurdle is getting a visa/right to work. Also, music teachers are not usually in high demand; math teachers are on the other hand. There's an exchange program for teachers with a J-1 Visa, but I don't know much about it other than it exists.

8. Richski1

Richski1 New commenter

Hello,

I thought I would contact you as from your posts you seem to know a lot about international teaching. My mum and I (We're British) are looking to move to the US specifically Providence, MA however we are happy to move around MA. She is a fully qualified special needs teacher, who has worked in a college teaching students ranging from age 16 - 50. I believe she has roughly 15 years expierence in her field. The main questions we would like to ask is how would we go about approaching schools and also would it be relatively easy to gain a Visa considering special needs teachers are in high demand?

Any info would be extremely helpful!

9. musikteech

i googled J-1 visa and you're right. there is an exchange programme. I've emailed a school on the programme to ask them how to apply. Cost of renting is high in America it looks like. $1500-$1800 for a 1 bed apartment, $700-$900for a shared apartment. Hope it's a big salary then. I saw salary ranges from $45k to $100k. What's the tax rate?

10. stargirl577

@Richski1 I don't really know about international teaching; I just understand the US education system because I'm American. (I live and teach in Georgia.)

The biggest hurdle is always getting a visa/right to work. Generally, schools don't sponsor H1B visas (work visas). I don't know the ins and outs of the immigration system, so it's not really something I can advise you on.

With regards to finding positions in Massachusetts, I think it might actually be a bit more difficult than other areas in the country. Although special education teachers are in high demand in most areas, Massachusetts has one of the best school systems in the country making positions a bit more competitive. You could look up school districts in the areas you are interested and see how many posts are listed or if they hold job fairs. That might give you an idea of how in demand special education teachers might be.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

11. stargirl577

@musikteech Cost of renting varies across the country and even within states. I think you mentioned LA, which is definitely an area with a high cost of living. You should be able to find a pay scale on the website of the school district(s) you're interested in to get a more specific idea of salary range. As far as tax rate, are you referring to income tax rates? These depend on the tax bracket, which would be determined by your income. California also has State income tax in addition to federal income tax. You should be able to google tax brackets/rates to get a general idea.

12. musikteech

Thanks. I've emailed a few schools now and asked them how to apply for a J-1 visa and what their salary ranges are

13. rskotecha

rskotecha New commenter

Hi, I'm keen to find out any updates on your queries. I want to work out how I might be able to teach in the US in the future.

14. kyleclare

kyleclare New commenter

Hi there,
    I was hoping you could help me cause I'm really struggling to find answers. Would be fab to hear a US teachers views. I'm 28 and a secondary maths teacher. I have 7.5 years experience and a Bachelors degree in Mathematics with Professional Education which I achieved a distinction. My husband, 2 year old son and I really want to move to Florida. Is it possible to get sponsorship for teaching? I don't want a J1 visa as we don't want to have to move our son bk after a couple of years. Do you know much about virtual sxhools? I love the thought of this with having a young son. I have contacted many people in florida in the education world but when I ask about visa sponsorships they just refer me to resume page. Not really answering my questions. Super excited about move but want to ensure its doable. I am very enthusiastic :) hope you can help,

Thank you,

Clare

15. merlinwebb

merlinwebb New commenter

I'm wondering if someone could advise me on my situation. I am both a US and UK citizen and am hoping to teach in the US. I have a BA, MA and this year am taking a PGCE in further education. What will I need to complete if I live in NY or NJ and teach there? Thanks in advance.

16. Wotton

17. merlinwebb

merlinwebb New commenter

Thank you so much Wotton

18. kyleclare

kyleclare New commenter

Hi there,
    I was hoping someone could help me cause I'm really struggling to find answers. Would be fab to hear a US teachers views. I'm 28 and a secondary maths teacher. I have 7.5 years experience and a Bachelors degree in Mathematics with Professional Education which I achieved a distinction. My husband, 2 year old son and I really want to move to Florida. Is it possible to get sponsorship for teaching? I don't want a J1 visa as we don't want to have to move our son bk after a couple of years. Do you know much about virtual sxhools? I love the thought of this with having a young son. I have contacted many people in florida in the education world but when I ask about visa sponsorships they just refer me to resume page. Not really answering my questions. Super excited about move but want to ensure its doable. I am very enthusiastic :)hope you can help,

Thank you,

Clare

19. stargirl577

@kyleclare Sorry for the delay. This was our last week of school, so it was a little hectic. So fun to see our students graduate today, though!

As far as getting a sponsorship to teach in Florida, I really don't know how easy that will be. I double public schools would do that, but maybe if you go to a super high need area. Do you have a specific area of Florida you are interested in moving to?

I think being qualified to teach will be the easy part. The difficult part will be gaining the right to work, and I can't really give any advice on that. You might try charter or private schools for sponsorship as they might be more amendable to the idea.

Like I said, I unfortunately can't give any advice on getting the right to work. However, if you have questions about how the school systems work, I can help you out there. Good luck!

20. musikteech

@kyleclare I think you need a green card to have the right to teach in America. You would have to have a US husband to get a green card. Is the J1 visa a limited amount of time then? I don't know if there is anything else except a J1 visa or marrying a US citizen.