1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to go teach in the US when trained in UK? help

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by ameliepira, May 31, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have just finished my PGCE and am going to start my NQT year in the UK, but I would really like to find a way to go and teach in the US after a couple of years.
    Are there any american teachers that can give me some advice? Do you have any tip on how to find a job there? Is there any website where I can find some more information about how to proceed?
    I haven't chosen a location yet but I don't want to go to a huge city like New York or Chicago, I would like to go to a smaller town and I'm very open on the where.
    Also, if I manage to find a teaching job, can my husband come with me?
    I hope someone will be able to help me or point me the right direction. Thank you all for your help.
    Amelie

2. Hi,
    I have just finished my PGCE and am going to start my NQT year in the UK, but I would really like to find a way to go and teach in the US after a couple of years.
    Are there any american teachers that can give me some advice? Do you have any tip on how to find a job there? Is there any website where I can find some more information about how to proceed?
    I haven't chosen a location yet but I don't want to go to a huge city like New York or Chicago, I would like to go to a smaller town and I'm very open on the where.
    Also, if I manage to find a teaching job, can my husband come with me?
    I hope someone will be able to help me or point me the right direction. Thank you all for your help.
    Amelie

3. The link is for teachers with experience, it was only to have a starting point where you may find some information to point you in the right direction.

4. Thanks a lot for your advices. I have just visited the British schools of America and that looks interesting, I might be able to do that in a couple of years when I have a bit of experience.
    I am just a bit worried because they say that, to be able to apply, you need to live in the UK, have a british passport and be qualified in the UK. I don't have a british passport, I'm originally from france. But if I am living in the UK and I am working like a UK teacher here and doing well, they might consider me. Do you know if it would be a problem?
    Thanks

5. That scheme sounds familiar to me, apparently the US government have a similar agreement with the Spanish government for teachers in Spain who may be interested in teaching in the US. You may want to check with the French ministry of education in case they have such agreement.

6. If you have a 4 year degree in education, you can work in schools in the USA. I worked there for 8 years. I took 2, 2 hour exams, had my English BEd degree translated into American and began supply teaching. Within 3 weeks, I had a permanent job! If you want to work in the USA, there is a way and you are appreciated and treated as a professional. There is always plenty of supply teaching, but it doesn't pay that well, however a great way in.
    I made a huge mistake, resigning from the best job ever to return to England. I never imagined that schools would use unqualified TA's as supplies and it be so difficult to gain employment here.

7. I feel the same way! I had 6 years teaching experience in Florida and i am a dual citizen so I decided to have a new adventure and live and teach in England. I am living here, but there hasnt been much teaching going on. Ive been applying for perm jobs like crazy and supply teaching has dwinded as well. [​IMG]

8. Depends on the state. Here in Cali you would still have to go through an induction program lasting 2 years and take classes. Your PGCE will get you in the door as an "emergency" but you stay on the bottom of the payscale until you complete the "clearing" requirement. Yuo get 5 years to do it.
    CA schools advertise on edjoin.org
    The big issue is your visa. They don't issue HB40's or whatever they are called for high school/middle school.

9. I was just wondering, how did you go about getting to the US to work after your 4 year degree?

10. Hi, I am in a sticky situation & could really do with some advice. I have just married a US citizen and am in the process of applying for residency, in theory I should have my work permit soon & my green card on the way in the not too distant future.

My wife is expecting, so I had to move over here so she could be around her family & I could be with her throughout the pregnancy & we plan to move to North Carolina, so I am really eager to get on the career ladder here. I have a first class undergraduate degree in English Lit. & a top grade secondary English PGCE from 2012 I travelled straight after my PGCE so did not gain my NQT yet.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Do you think it's possible for me to find work teaching in middle schools out here with my qualifications and a work permit?

2. Would I have to get any other kind of teaching license or transfer my qualifications somehow?

3. Since finishing my PGCE & seeing the school systems here I am keen to work with either middle school students or Top end elementary students. Do you think the latter is possible with a secondary PGCE? (I know it is in the UK)

4. What are the main differences I might expect from the schooling systems?

5. If it came to it how easy do you think it'd be to find supply work with my current English qualifications in the US?

Any help would me greatly appreciated from anyone, you can reply here or ideally to my email address at edwardsimmons23@gmail.com.

Thanks

11. leannelewis89

leannelewis89 New commenter

Hi Edward, I know it was a couple of years since you posted this message but I was wondering if you managed to get a teaching job and if so what did you have to do? I am wanting to relocate to live with my boyfriend over in the states and I am a fully qualified teacher currently working in England. I also like yourself did a PGCE.

12. stargirl577

stargirl577 New commenter

Where are you looking to teach in the US? What grade l level/content area? Certification varies from state to state. The hardest part will be getting the right to work (unless you marry you're boyfriend, then it's easy peasy). I'm a US teacher, and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

13. loralou

loralou New commenter

Hi
    I'm moving to New York with my husband to be who is relocating with work. He will have a green card and so once we are married (in May) I will apply for a work permit which should all be processed by 10th September. I have 5 years teaching experience here in primary schools. I am now also a SENCO and really want to carry on teaching when we move over.

How do I go about becoming certified in New York and how long will that take? I would be looking to teach k- grade 6.

What is the best way of going about getting a teaching job? Should I supply first, or go through an agency? Is there a good website to refer to?

As I will only get my work permit after the start of term how likely is it I would find a permanent position?

14. stargirl577

@loralou Since your experience is in special education, which is a high needs area pretty much everywhere in the States, I would think you would not have too much trouble finding a position. Will you be in New York City or elsewhere in the state?

I'm not sure what the requirements would be for certification in New York. This links might be helpful in your research:
    Generally, we do not have agencies in the US. Substitute teaching is handled by the school district. You apply with the district, get trained, and then work at various schools in the district. The great thing about this is that the staff and administration at each school gets to know you, and if you are a good sub, you will get called back a lot. This often leads to full time employment.

Mid-year hires are not uncommon here. Often, teachers are hired about six weeks after the start of the school year if there are more students enrolled than the initial projections indicated. Also, teacher contracts are not as binding here, so some teachers often leave in the middle of the year (even with little notice).

As far as finding teaching jobs, find out what school district(s) are in the area where you will be moving. Most districts have online applications that allow you to apply for any available position. It's a much more streamlined process than in the UK. You will need to have your certification at least in process before you can do this and your work permit/social security number to apply.

I hope that gives you a start to do some more research. Good luck! I'm about to do the opposite - leaving the US for the UK at the end of May/beginning of June. I'm feeling just as lost trying to wrap my head around all of the differences between our two education systems!

15. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

Can I get a job in the US if I have a degree and PGCE from the UK? I don't have an american spouse. What do I need to do first before applying for a job or do I need a sponsor first to get a visa? Thanks

YasmineJade likes this.
  16. stargirl577

@muskiteech Requirements are different for every state in the US. You might want to start by looking at where you want to go in the USA, and research the certification requirements for that state. Additionally, getting a visa would be difficult but possible if you go to a state that desperately needs teachers in high needs areas.

The J-1 Visa program might be another possibility, but you'd need three years of teaching experience first. It works kind of like an exchange program if I understand correctly. http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/teacher#participants

Finally, you'd probably need a visa/right to work before applying for jobs unless you find a school in a high need area for teachers who is willing to sponsor you. However, these tend to be more challenging school environments. Just some things to think about.

I hope that helps a little. If you have any questions about what schools are like in the US, please let me know! I've taught in both middle and high school and have spent time observing in elementary/working with elementary school teachers.

17. tomflynn1992

tomflynn1992 New commenter

@stargirl577

Hi,

I have taught for 3 years in primary schools in England and I am lookin for a job in Florida teaching the same age group.

I have been with my American partenr for 4 years and we are looking to get married but I would like to get a job here first and then marry. Is there anywhere in the state of Florida that I can look for international teaching jobs? And that would help me with sponsorship etc?

Many thanks

18. stargirl577

@tomflynn1992 I'm not sure what would be the best course. I know from my personal experience, it's easiest once you're married and have a green card to get a job. (I'm American, but my husband is British with a green card. He's not a teacher though.)

You might want to look into the J-1 Visa program. It looks like the Florida Department of Education is a sponsor. http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/teacher It would get you started in a position, and then you might be able to continue once you marry your partner and have permanent residency status.

Where in Florida are you looking to relocate to? I do know that some of the school districts in Florida can be challenging. For instance, teachers are prescribed lessons and everyone is expected to teach the exact same way. This is not everywhere, however.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

19. loralou

loralou New commenter

Thank you @stargirl577
    You've eased my mind. We will be living in either New York City or perhaps Hoboken on the New Jersey side (we're undecided yet) so I could potentially work in New Jersey state as well. Im not too worried and think I will have a better idea when I visit in our May half term here.

If you have any questions about schools/education here I'm happy to return the favour :)