1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to go about teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by vharvey5, Dec 1, 2011.

1. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help.

I am currently in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa visiting family, but I have been a primary school teacher for 5 years in the UK.

I am interested in looking into teaching opportunities over here, but applying directly is not as easy as it is in the UK nor as straight forward it seems!

I know of people from the UK who have taught in Australia and I was just wondering if there are any tips on how to go about it? I wouldn't mind looking into teaching over here for a year or so. To be honest, any info would be great. For examples, what do people think of the agencies? Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have applied to the state (WA), got all my certificates certified etc etc (finally!) and I am awaiting that, hoping to do relief teaching for a start...I just wondered if there was another route into teaching out here on a slightly more perminant basis, as the way jobs are advertised out here seems very different... From what I have seen, you are applying to a pool for a time when a job might come up, it is not necessarily the case that there is one there to apply for at the time!

Thanks I will look into Smart teachers, I have heard of them but don't know much about them. I am sure I have heard of people from the UK teaching out here for just a year, maybe through an organisation? I was wondering if anyone knew about that? Otherwise, on the visa I have, I suppose supply is the way forward!

Hope everything works out well for you in NSW. x

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I know NSW have a list of temporary an permenant positions that they update weekly (via Facebook). Not sure for WA. I think the 6 month rule is per company for supply for the state would be one employer I think you could do another 6 months for a private school too? I could be wrong though. If you're wanting to stay you can look at the shortage occupations and either pay for the visa, maybe see if the state will sponsor you, or a school you have worked in?
    Best of luck, let us know how you get on x

4. vharvey5

vharvey5 New commenter

Thanks again for that, I appreciate the advice!
    Yeah will do, let me know how you get on too! x

5. jade_dragon

jade_dragon New commenter

Hello,

The competition for inclusion to the appointment pool in state primary schools in Perth is tough with hundreds of applicants. So if you don't get anywhere there, you might have to be prepared to start with relief teaching. The AISWA website is a good place to start as it provides a list of schools whose websites you can look through for information about relief teaching as an alternative to going through an agency; perhaps volunteering at some of these schools may help to get them to know you first. AISWA is also currently looking for a Numeracy and Literacy consultant, if you're interested. It may also be worth ringing them, and possibly WACOT too, to ask for advice as they may be able to set you in the right direction. The Christian Schools Association and Catholic Education Office of WA may be other avenues for you, as well as checking out what is offered in the universities (eg, casual tutoring).

Good luck!

6. We currently run an exchange programme between the UK and
    Australia/Canada for UK based teachers. Please see our website for more
    information.
    http://www.cyec.org.uk/exchanges/commonwealth-teacher-exchange
    All the best,
    CYEC

7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I am fully in favour of poms going out to educate the Australians. There have been a number of threads and many posts on this subject. Please do a forum search.

8. Thanks for shearing.