1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to go about reducing hours further?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by missjones21, Jan 21, 2018.

1. missjones21

missjones21 New commenter

Last year i worked 0.6 three full days covering ppa which was okay, then september 2017 they were cut due to budget to two afternoons of ppa 0.2 covering PE - two teachers who job share in a year 1 class both went on maternity leave so from december 4th 2017 i started 5 mornings in year 1 and my two afternoons of PE 0.8 - one of the afternoons i swapped and instead of PE i stay with year 1 - however i want to ditch the other PE session on a thursday afternoon as i find my whole weekso exhausting, and made a vow this year my healthy and wellbeing would take priority. The year 1 class is very challenging and 1/3 are EAL, its exhausting i also have two small children of my own, and a house to keep.
    My plan was to speak to my head tomorrow and ask for a reduction in my hours to 0.6 and for someone else to do the thursday afternoon after half term - basically am i allowed to do this?
    I just cant carry on as i am or i know i will end up qutting all together through stress.
    Any advice appreiciated from someone who is or has been in the same boat! Thanks

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

you can ask but HT does not have to grant, especially mid year, however if they know the alternative is they will lose you altogether that might give them an incentive to find a solution. Are there other PT who want to increase their hours for example>?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Did you sign new contracts for all these changes in your working week? Heads can't arbitrarily increase or decrease your part time proportion without your agreement. If the last contract you had was 0.6 then you can't be required to work more than that if you don't want to.

Stiltskin likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

No harm asking whether you can reduce hours, particularly if you think there are others around who might be willing to increase. It sounds like the PE would be the most sensible part of your timetable to lose, but of course it might depend on the availability of anyone who wants to increase hours - so you might suggest that, but be prepared to look at other options if not.

You could go down the road of a formal flexible working request, but an informal request is probably the best thing first. If that's not successful, a formal request is unlikely to be dealt with by half-term.

Regarding the changes to your contract, if that cut from 0.6 to 0.2 was just imposed on you, I hope proper process was followed. It should not be assumed that all cuts should be borne by the part-timers.

5. missjones21

missjones21 New commenter

I was just verbally told in July that my hours would change to 0.2 and that was that, i wasn't aware they was a process for reducing the hours