1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get the required experience in schools??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Joanne2009, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am currently working in the NHS and have been a STEM ambassador for 7 years now. I am hoping to change career and become a primary school teacher.
    I need to get some experience working within schools. How do I do this? Write to the head of the school??

2. Hi there,
    I sent a cover letter and cv to the heads of local primary schools. Within a couple of days I received quite a few calls, saying that the schools already had students lined up for Sept and couldn't take any more, but I also got some really positive responses and started volunteering 4 weeks later :)

I looked up the names of the headteachers and addresses from my council, but I've read a few posts on here that recommend calling the schools as well. I wasn't able to do that around my job really. But for me, writing had just as much success and I'm going back to the same school in September and have also been invited to another school.
    A lot of schools also have emails, which they request job applications to be sent to, so it might be worth looking at this as well.

Good luck with it all

3. Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I have just been making a list of schools and headteachers this evening. I think I will write to them and see what happens. Do I need to include a SAE or will telephone number be ok?

4. Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have made a list of schools and headteachers this evening. I think I will write rather than email/phone and see whether, or not, I get a reply. Did you send a SAE? Or just phone number?

5. I included my address and phone numbers on the cv and got a mixture of calls and letters in response. I guess they might appreciate if you send an SAE. I wrote to about 20 schools, so I didn't think of sending an SAE.
    Maybe include an email address too.