1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to get rid of unwanted cats

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparklepig2002, Jun 29, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

As most of you probably know, I have two guinea pigs. Every time I put them out in the garden in their run, a large ginger cat appears as if by magic. I chase him away but he keeps coming back. The other day he was sitting on top of the run with my guinea pigs cowering in their tunnels.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could deter him? I bought an electronic device, but my son can hear it and says it is very unpleasant.. I don't want to put down repellent granules, because the guinea pigs might eat them. I have heard that cats don't like oranges-is this true?
    Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thank you.

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

A friend of mine once told me (most helpfully) to invest in some lion poo from a local zoo. That way, when the nasty cat comes into your garden it will take one sniff and scarper as fast as its little legs will carry it, for fear of the bigger than life cat it has ever caught a whiff of.
    Failing that, the only thing we have found effective in keeping the horrible things away from pooing in the fower beds (and everywhere else) is a squealy cat deterrer. Sorry.

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

thanks-now..does anyone have a pet lion....?

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure there will be someone here who has one tucked away somewhere.

5. Water pistol; bear trap; elephant gun.
    cyolba, upping the ante :)

6. cat owners - how do you keep your cats at home?
    my offspring are 5 years apart - because i had a miscarriage probably due to taximaplasmosis as the local cats think our garden is a public toilet
    i chase the b*st*rds out with a broom - i'm told a hosepipe - given the ban is lifted - is more effective

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

My brother swears by teabags soaked in ammonia as a cat deterrent.

8. you can buy lion poo at garden centres. It comes in a box (hopefully not expelled by lion) with a piccie of a lion on the front and is clearly labelled LION POO. hope this helps.[​IMG]

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I feel this is a safer option than digging a big hole and waiting by its side with a Big White Hunter hat.

10. bed

bed New commenter

Sack. Stones. Canal.

11. God you people are horrid sometimes.

12. Do you regularly go rooting through your garden with your bare hands and licking your fingers afterwards? If not, its probably nothing to do with the cats.

13. well no - but miss p was a toddler at the time, so i needed to clear up - and i guess i was too frazzled by not-sleeping-toddler lack of sleep to be as hygienic as i should have been
    and the blood test suggested...
    such is life

14. Is your run completely cat proof? Is the wire on the run too small for cats to get their paws through? Have you prevented the run from being tipped over by any visiting animal? Have you prevented the run lid from being nudged open by any visiting animal?

If the answer to the above is 'YES' then I'd stop worrying too much about the cat. Your pigs will eventually get used to the visits, and they should work out that they are safe and stop hiding when it visits. The cat will eventually get bored when it realises that it can't get at your pigs.

I have two pigs - I have ensured that their run is all of the above once our new neighbor's cat started showing an unhealthy interest in them. My two boys aren't bothered by the regular visits any more. In fact Mycroft (the dominant boy) has started to burble at her when she visits. I would never trust any cat with my boys out in the open - but in their run I know they are safe. I'm also extremely careful when handling and transferring them from the hutch to the run etc never to leave them anywhere said cat could possibly get at them.

We started out by trying to deter the cat from entering the garden. Chasing it out, shouting at it, water pistol, wire round the top of the fence etc. but nothing worked. I didn't want to try an electronic device as pigs hearing is much better than ours and it would probably upset them.

As it turns out this small female cat keeps other marauders from entering out garden. A definite plus from my point of view as she doesn't seem to **** all over our garden - and by being so territorial she's stopped other cats from cr*pping all over it too.

15. I want one of those!! (Could beat the hell out of chasing little s hits around trying to get them to attend detentions)

16. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63NNuG-6-hQ

17. Hi, Sparkly! I would try a heavy duty water pistol, and a squeeze of lemon in the water.... as long as you don't get it in its eyes. That's what my dad does! Poor ginny's A xxx

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm a cat owner, but I'm not averse to chasing other marauding moggies out of our garden to stop them harassing ours. Pulling a scary face and loosing off a few bursts with a super soaker usually gets the message across - cats aren't stupid and are generally lazy. If visiting your garden becomes too much bother they'll stop doing it. The easier solution however is to cat-proof the guinea pig run - the cat will either become friendly with them or give them up as a bad job and go somewhere else.

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[​IMG]
    Strips of plastic spikes you glue onto your wall or fence.
    I find the electronic squealy thing works really well and haven't come across cat filth in the lawn for ages, thanks to my little green friend.

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Or perhaps the ginnys need to go to self defence classes?
    [​IMG]