1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of Bee's

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

So not work related at all but home related.

I have a bee's nest in/under my shed and there are some huge bees! I think there's about 30 from what I've seen today.

Obviously bee's are becoming endangered so I don't want to kill them but I'm looking for a friendly way to get them to 'move home'.

I've been told smoke pellets but I don't know if they will kill them or not.

Cany anyone advise? I've never had to deal with this before.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Who is 'Bee'? And what is it belonging to her you want rid of? :confused:

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Surely one bee shouldn't be much of a problem?

nomad likes this.
  4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Ignoring the apostrophe issue, your house insurance might cover this if the bees are coming into the house.

SLouise91 likes this.
  6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

You should contact a bee keeper/ hive owner. They should be able to deal with the nest safely, without harming the bees.

wanet, needabreak, SLouise91 and 6 others like this.
  7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Leave them alone - Bees don't cause any problems to your property, and nor are you in danger of being stung if they are left alone and unprovoked. After the summer season the bees will go away and not return to the nesting site the following year. By the time a colony has become obvious its activity will be about to decline naturally. Generally, colonies formed in spring usually decline naturally by late July, if not sooner. Therefore if at all possible always leave bee nests alone to thrive as their presence is actually beneficial for gardeners and their crop.
    • Relocation - If a nest is outside or underground then there shouldn't be a reason to really move it. In more conventional and accessible places such as bushes, trees and sheds, then contacting a local beekeeper or pest controller to relocate the nest is an option. If you suspect you have honeybees and they are causing you problems the BPCA suggests you use a swarm collector from the British Bee Keepers Association (www.bbka.org.uk/swarm). In most cases they will come and collect the swarm free of charge. Only if the location of a nest is dangerous and removal not possible, should the next step be an option.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Just ignore them. Bees are good.

9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you must move them call in an expert, do not try to do it yourself it could be hazardous

gingerhobo48 and SLouise91 like this.
  10. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Leave them. We had bumble bees in the garage and they quite happily did their own thing, whilst I dug around for the gardening stuff. We delayed knocking the garage down until the bees moved on. I quite enjoyed getting on with my jobs whilst they worked alonside me.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Bee's (sic)???

Oh for God's sake!!!

They are probably coming in to look for some punctuation guidance.

12. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

[​IMG] Bee's umbrella was lost, and found in the British Museum. I love the Ant and Bee books

peggylu likes this.
  13. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

I can't believe I didn't notice my own apostrophe mistake! I'm normally really good with them. :oops:

By the looks of it they are bumble bees by their markings/size. I will see how they get along. Unfortunately I have an allergy to them or I wouldn't be as cautious; plus it's an area that I have to regularly go in and out of. They seem to have made their hive/nest underneath my shed along the doorway where it is raised off the ground slightly so each time I open the door five or six fly out to investigate.

If not I'll take your advice. Thank you!

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My barber is a beekeeper - only the other day he said he had to relocate a swarm using a handy food waste container. I've got a nest close to my greenhouse and they're no bother, but there'll be somebody local who can advise you.

SLouise91 likes this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Just made a slight tweak there.

peggylu and nomad like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If they are bumble bes they will be to busy to worry you unless you try to touch thier nest. They can sting many times so i do not advise that.
    I have swarms of then feeding off the Lavender and Rosemary in the back garden and they ignore me as I work out there. They are busy blitters and ar probabaly getting ready next years queens who leave and hide during the winter.
    it is i believe an offence to destroy a bumble bees nest.
    If you ave an allergy to them make sure you kep you stabber with you..but walk calmly dodnt trya andcatch them or annoy them and they shsould leave you alone.
    My bumblebees were stili working at turn 9 pm last night

SLouise91 and sbkrobson like this.
  17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

peggylu and SLouise91 like this.
  18. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Get in touch with your local wildlife trust. They will know people who can help. Smoke calms them but too much will kill them. We are losing bumble bees at an alarming rate manly due to toxic chemicals that farmers use ( on food we eat) which decimate insects , so get some advice.
    My family have kept bees for years and because the new farmer next door is not organic we expect the bees colonies to be dead within three years.

SLouise91 and sbkrobson like this.
  19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The Bumble Bee Conservation Trust recommends not moving nests for the above reasons of preservation.But they also acknowledge that if inconveniently placed as in your case,they can represent a danger.
    Their suggested solution is to have the nest entrance rerouted-here's the link, it's nice reading
    https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/moving-bumblebee-nests/

SLouise91 likes this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

O my, sorry, I didnt see you'd put the same link,having spent more than the difference in our posting time engrossed in the website

SLouise91 likes this.