1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

How to get QTS in Early Years if you are non EEA trained?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kazschofy, Sep 12, 2019.

  1. kazschofy

    kazschofy New commenter

    I’m secondary trained and honestly know very little about the Early Years, so thought I would ask you.
    Do you know how to obtain qts if you have a foreign (Iran) teaching qualification please?
    A friend will use Naric to convert her qualification and I know you can work four years without Qts whilst pursuing it. But I’m unsure of the different routes beyond getting unqualified work and doing the ‘assessment only’ route.
    Which route makes most sense for an asylum seeker (as they cannot take paid work until they get ‘leave to remain’) in your opinion?
    Many thanks for your help :)
  2. grumbleweed

    grumbleweed Lead commenter

    Hi. Is there any reason you want to go early years when you are secondary trained? It means you have a double challenge moving to a new country and completely different age group.
    Are you able to volunteer at a local nursery? You would still need DBS and I don't know how that works for asylum seekers, you would need to take advice.
    Have you considered using Naric yourself, it's more about seeing how compatible your qualification is compared to one gained in UK.
    The assessment only route I believe requires you to be in a school already so I don't think that's right for you just now.
    If you decide early years is what you want to do, you may be better off doing an early years level 3 course if you can do that. This would give you better chance to get work although salary is much lower than teaching, but once you get settled stays and can work, you can always get into teaching later on
    On the other hand, it may be easier to start with what you are trained for, in secondary then make the move to early years later.
  3. kazschofy

    kazschofy New commenter

    Many thanks for your reply. I am secondary trained but I am asking for a friend who is Early Years trained (in Iran). I will suggest, to her, that she does the level three due to the reasons you gave.
    Thanks again.
  4. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Because the friend is from Iran they must be an asylum seeker?! o_O
  5. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Your friend's teaching qualification will not be accepted in the UK.


    'If you trained in a country outside of the EEA, other than Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, you need to complete an accredited training programme in England to obtain QTS and take up a permanent teaching post.'
  6. grumbleweed

    grumbleweed Lead commenter

    No, because the OP mentioned this in the first post, asking specifically what is the best route for an asylum seeker.

    Kazschofy, I think I misunderstood that it was you wanting to move to early years. if your friend is already trained for early years, she can do the qualification mapping for early years rather than the QTS mapping. Have a look here if you haven't before
    https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/individuals/compare qualifications/eys-info.aspx

    Otherwise, doing a uk course enables her to get to know the system here, offers work placements and helps her meet others. This would also help her get extra voluntary work if she wanted to.
  7. kazschofy

    kazschofy New commenter

    Thanks again. So Overses Trained Teachers qualifications do not have their qualifications recognised? So she’ll need (almost) complete retraining perhaps?
    I’m not sure what it meant by ‘qualification mapping’ (routes into teaching?) sorry and the link to naric doesn’t work for me.
    Starting to get a little confused as I thought the four year rule applied (https://assets.publishing.service.g...a/file/387894/OTTs_web_guidance_10_Dec_14.pdf) and my Iranian find only needed qts not (almost) complete retraining.
    I am a little confused. I was just going to suggest a TA course whilst she was unable to seek work, her skills are kept updated and she’s best placed to get work (when allowed) that would get her QTS. Would this not work (in an ideal world)?
  8. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Hmmm. Perhaps you should phone NAIRC and the 'get into teaching' people on your friend's behalf?

    According to this https://www.grb.uk.com/recruiter-research/international-degree-equivalents Iranian degrees are not accepted in the UK.
  9. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Haha, neither of us read the post properly it seems!
  10. grumbleweed

    grumbleweed Lead commenter

    Hi there. Yes it us a bit confusing. Yes your friend could work as unqualified for up to 4 years, but will still need to gain QTS in UK, and demonstrate they meet the required standards, and this is where you would additional upgrading or training according to how her qualification meet the UK requirements ( this is the mapping I was referring to).

    My concern would be getting an early years role if this is what she wants as it's very limited and represents a small portion of the years in school. It's highly unlikely that a school would take on an overseas trained teacher with no uk experience over say a uk trained NQT. And there are early years trained teachers out there unable to get jobs, certainly in my area anyway.
    This is why I'm suggesting some course that would ger her into our system first. A TA course us certainly a possibility, it's a level 3 course, same as early years, but serves a slightly different purpose. If she definitely want to work in school, then go down the TA route, but accept that she may not always work in early years. Or, if it's early years she wants, look at the level 3 childcare which would help her access the whole early years system and possibly school nursery classes too.just worth knowing that salaries in early years settings is low, but lots if people do start there then move on.

    Sorry if I'm not being helpful, perhaps you need some face to face advice?

Share This Page