1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get promoted to a Level 3 TA??!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by HElisha, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Hi I recently was successful in getting a position as a Level 2 TA in a Reception class.
    However, I am Level 3 qualified but as jobs are so scarce in my area I was really lucky just to get this. I will also be working alongside 2 other TA's within the classroom.
    I have worked as a Level 3 TA before but it was only temporary for just over a month.
    The position I have got is Temporary part- time up untill March but the person who has left is not coming back, so its very likely there will still be a position going.
    I asked the head if there was room for progression as I am a Level 3 and would like more hours. He reassured me that because the school is so big, TA's there are known for progressing.
    I am just curious if anyone could give me any tips of how to make a good name for myself within the school so I can get more hours, secure a permanent position and move up to my qualified level.
    I would realy appreciate all of your help and advice - Thanks guys :)!!

2. Hi I recently was successful in getting a position as a Level 2 TA in a Reception class.
    However, I am Level 3 qualified but as jobs are so scarce in my area I was really lucky just to get this. I will also be working alongside 2 other TA's within the classroom.
    I have worked as a Level 3 TA before but it was only temporary for just over a month.
    The position I have got is Temporary part- time up untill March but the person who has left is not coming back, so its very likely there will still be a position going.
    I asked the head if there was room for progression as I am a Level 3 and would like more hours. He reassured me that because the school is so big, TA's there are known for progressing.
    I am just curious if anyone could give me any tips of how to make a good name for myself within the school so I can get more hours, secure a permanent position and move up to my qualified level.
    I would realy appreciate all of your help and advice - Thanks guys :)!!

3. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

In the schools I've worked in progression stopped many years ago. Recently employed TA's (around the past 4-5 years) have been employed as Level 1 , most were already Level 3 qualified when employed or have gained the Level 3 qualification since. The number of hours worked hasn't made any difference to the level of hourly pay (if they are full time then both L1 & L3 work the same number of hours). L1 TA's are encouraged to gain higher qualifications but do not get any increase in pay. In general both L1 & L3 work alongside each other doing the same job. The only way may be that you have to apply for a L3 post if/when it arises, your school may be different, but here with so many cuts, if all L£ qualified staff were paid L3 pay then the numbers of TA's would have to be cut.

4. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

we have to wait until there's a vacancy for L3 and apply. In the meantime you could make yourself indispensable and show that you are capable of taking on more responsibility, which would set you in good stead for when a job does come up.

you could even set up little enrichment programs like gardening or cooking groups and make yourself a little niche. discuss with SLT any ideas you have and see if they are agreeable to them. make sure you have a plan to show them and talk about the impacts it could have on the children's learning, behaviour, experiences etc. you'll probably have to sell yourself and convince them that your ideas will enhance the school. if you do all the leg work and organise, liaise with who you need to in order set up a group and they see that it will mean no additional work for them and are able to see the benefits to the children, you're half way there.

so for instance if you wanted to set up a gardening group - which is a good one as it can actually generate income and fund itself if you sell the produce grown - you could source as much free stuff from organisations as you could. you could talk to the school site managers about a piece of land on school grounds that could be utilised..failing that you could get in touch with the council to see if there are any nearby allotments or land that could be used, or perhaps they can put you touch with a scheme or a grant scheme. have a scheme of work ready, risk assessments written to show them too and be all ready to roll with it. you have to be a bit pushy or entrepreneurial sometimes to get where you want to be. :)

5. I can see what you mean about the cuts it makes sense [​IMG] hopefully i'll be one of the lucky ones! :)

6. Capital letters and punctuation would be a good start....

7. Sorry but maybe you need to be able to use full stops and CAPITAL LETTERS?????

8. I agree with this but I have no gardening skills what-so-ever, so I think I wouldn't be up to this :/ ... there are certain things I am good at but the school I am in is really advanced and they've got everything from a drama club to a zumba club (plus 28 other extra curricullum clubs) So this is why I am bit unsure on how to make myself (as you say) indispencable. Any other ideas JSalty? :)

9. Thank you emmaclair I found this really helpful, however I haven't recieved any training in working with children with dyslexia or any other specific special needs so I think I wouldn't be qualified enough to put myself forward for this if you know what I mean :/. I have as you've said let the 'powers that be' (nicely put btw :L) about my ambitions and they have reacted positively but the problem is there are so many other TA's in the same position as me in the school who have been there a little longer so I feel they would be first in line - so to speak - if it was going off word of mouth alone :/ Hrmmmm I'll keep at it though and thank you for your advice :)!

10. I would hate to come across as pushy but that's where good people skills come into place I suppose! As well as that I'd be absolutely mortified to trample over anyone else to get the job I want - but thats not what this is about. This is about me wanting to get to the Level I am qualified at and .. well .. I think I deserve. I am looking for advice on how to make a good impression on everyone because at the end of the day it is a school I work in and I wouldn't get promoted if none of my colleagues liked me lol! ... I agree that no-one is indispensable but there are ways of making myself more useful to the school and give them more of a reason to keep me on as permanent.

11. If your on about me ... then I do apologise but I wasn't writing on here to get the promotion lol! I was asking fellow TA's for advice. So if you would like to add something more constuctive then please do :)!

12. I would love to know which union is giving you this advice because it is not correct.
    It may be that you are in secondary in which case the situation is different, however in primary PPA time can be covered by anyone as long as the head teacher deems them suitable. As far as I am aware (and I have done quite a bit of research in this area) there are no rules only guidelines. I have HLTA status but am currently paid 4 different rates depending on the job I am doing in the school. This apparently is the norm in the area where I work and in many other local authorities too.
    I think that the OP has been given lots of good advice about working hard, being keen to take on responsibility and making themselves indispensable. Unfortunately head teachers will always pay the lowest rate they can legally get away with and the situation will only get worse as budget cuts start to bite.
    [​IMG]

Sorry this was aimed at partridgecardiff

13. do you now where i could find this information as we have been told we cannot get promoted to l3 unless we cover and i over three afternoons a week PPA on my own (paid temp l3 till july normally l2). Unison dont seem to have any help pn it as its yet another grey area. Bit chuffed off really we all feel very undervalued

14. Not really relevant in this instance are they? Im on my on my phone and not sitting a SpaG test

15. all TAs should be level 2 or equivalent which makes them more than capable of the curriculum knowledge so ive been told by unison its the employers discretion

16. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

In my LA you get paid at the rate the job is advertised at no matter if you are L2, L3 or even a teacher.Schools budget to this amount and are not open to negotiation.Promotion that's a laugh. You are just given more to do, more responsibilities but not more pay!

17. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

It is at the discretion of the Headteacher and the Governors. I trained as a NNEB Dip and started on Level 3. I went on to study for STA and other courses before completing HLTA and since gaining the Status I have been paid accordingly. I do have a lot more responsibility and teach whole classes at least twice a week covering PPA.

You could write a letter stating your case but if you only have a temporary contract I would be very careful. If they offer you another job next year then you could ask then and negotiate with them. Good luck.