1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get Private Work as a Supply Teacher

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by f.a.b, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi,

I started doing supply work in September 2010 and have registered with 3 agencies. Unfortunately work has been very irregular and only one agency has provided the work that I have had so far.

So how does one get work directly from schools? what is appropriate in advertising ones self and how should I go about it?

Look forward to your advice and comments

2. Hi,

I started doing supply work in September 2010 and have registered with 3 agencies. Unfortunately work has been very irregular and only one agency has provided the work that I have had so far.

So how does one get work directly from schools? what is appropriate in advertising ones self and how should I go about it?

Look forward to your advice and comments

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Send your CV to schools you would like to be in and those you can easily travel to.

4. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

If possible, visit a few local schools. My friend books supply teachers and says that it is always a risk if you don't know them.Obviously you don't want to sound desperate but I got one booking from pooping into a local school and telling them that I was just passing and wanted to let them know that I was now available to do supply. I gave them my CV plus a reference and they consequently recommended me to other schools too.

5. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Think I'm going to try this, as I get tired of waitng for agencies- work has been a bit intermittant this term.
    There are a couple of 'challenging' schools in my area, so they might welcome an'old hand' like me.

6. I think generally it will be the case that you must first go through a registration process with the LEA, to get on the LEA list. If there is no LEA list, then their policy will be to register for CRB individually with the school, before working for them.
    Some schools/LEAs may not be as stringent about this, but I'd expect most LEAs NOT to accept portability, and where portability can be agreed, I doubt if that would extend to CRBs longer than three months previous issue.

7. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Yes, that's certainly the case in my area. You have to be registered with the LEA first.

8. phatsals

Schools can set up the paperwork for you with the LEA and organise the CRB. Once you have a payroll number put that on any CV you send along with your CRB reference number.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If your agency finds out you're freelancing in 'their' schools and depriving them of potential booking fees you run the risk of them dropping you from their favourites list, assuming they're getting you any work in the first place.

Some agencies have the LEA supply contract, though not all schools will use them. I'd advise some care and a bit of market research before touting yourself round schools in the manner you suggest - you might shoot yourself in the foot.

10. phatsals

Couldn't disagree more. I did it and never looked back, schools ring direct and recommend to others. Those schools who want to stick with agencies do just that, but others want supply they know and trust. Even where LEAs rung their own agency some schools prefer to go direct as it saves them a bit of cash and it's continuity.
    No school has to contact you and most won't, some however will. It's exactly how agencies get their work in the first place so compete with them for yourself. You may land a pt contract out of it if your lucky.