1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to get over a bad day

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by japonicabean, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Have only been doing supply for a while and have had really good experiences until today. It was horrendous, chair throwing, screaming, swearing etc in an infant class. I have been teaching a good while and know that this can happen and have experienced it in my own classes before but have known what to do and how to get help but today was overwhelmed by the aggressiveness of the children and was told this was quite normal. Agency said that there were no "begaviour issues" in the school, first thing I was told when I got there was this class are really, really hard. I was also told I did really well...but came away very shaken. Not sure how to shake off experience and go on. I really don't think I want to go back to that school again. Am now feeling like a complete failure

2. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

They told you that this behaviour is "normal" for them and that the class was really hard so why do you feel like a failure?
    They obviously always behave like this so it really isn't your fault!!! You were told that you did really well! It sounds to me that the school would feel embarrassed by the behaviour.
    In some schools the kids behave like this and they say "Oh they never usually behave like this." When they do! They didn't blame you, you don't want to go back so don't... it sounds horrible and you did well to last the day... I know some that would walk!
    Just put it down to experience and move on.[​IMG]

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

have you a stack of thanks cards from previous pupils? My better half stashes them away and makes me read them from time to time.
    Tell the agency "never again". If the school allows that behaviour then they will have to teach them themselves (SMT)

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Horrible for you BUT YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!
    The school acknowledges the class is difficult, so as an unknown your chances of having much impact in one day are not very high. Put it down to experience and listen to other posters suggestions.
    PS Years ago a DH said to me "Still standing at the end of the day as a supply here is success!" I've often trotted out that statement to myself at the end of a bad day.

5. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

We have all been in this position I am sure and yes we do feel as if we should be able to handle anything that comes our way, but until it does come our way, it is only then that we experience what it is really like to have a class going out of control for what ever reason. Good practice is to reflect on the day and make a few notes about the differing situations and behaviours and to write down some of the options should it happen again. Reflective practice is not always theraputic but it certainly clears the mind and satisfies our need to be back in control by having some form of action plan for similar situations should they happen again. Join the elite club of supply survivors.

6. Thank you everyone[​IMG]
    Sensible advice as usual. Really appreciate it. Was asked to go back today but have said no and am about to email agency to say "Never again".
    As to why I felt like a failure... last permanent job knocked my confidence. Recent supply has built it up but suppose is still fragile. A headteacher I know said to me last night that no-one should put up with it and even offered to phone agency for me and tell them. I declined politely but as with your advice has made me feel justified with my decision not to go back.
    I thnk I will get more used to supply as I go along...at the moment trying to please everyone so I get work but I know I need to look after myself too.
    Thanks again

7. I hope you feel better soon. I had my confidence knocked by a permanent job I left in 2009. It has come back in leaps and bounds since and although I said I would never teacher again... er it appears I am a teacher. It is only when you really recover and people start saying how happy and energetic you are that you realise how much a bad job with bullying management and rotten colleagues drains your energy. As Mrs P says if the school was admitting they were that bad and not pulling the 'they aren't like that for anyone else stroke' they know they are a tough school and you did well getting through it.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've been teaching nearly 30 years and had no hesitation in saying 'Never Again' about one school I was asked to work supply in a couple of times for peanuts. The kids' attitude was just plain wrong on both occasions, other staff were invisible, and I learned later that they'd only recently left special measures. Walk away. It'll show your agency you won't take any old **** too.

9. sounds like a very similar situation...
    Thanks for the answers...[​IMG] Hope all having good day

10. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I hope you are feeling better about this now. Before I went into teaching I used to sew on a machine. I was often told... "You aren't a proper machinist until you have sewn through your finger."
    Well congratulations because you aren't a proper supply teacher until a chair has been thrown!
    So well done and welcome to the club! Cheers! [​IMG]

11. Thank you I am...have been surprised today as have been offered a 1 day a week supply til the end of term...so quite happy