1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get more relevant experience or present my experience better?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by clairemf, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dear Stephen

I work with teenagers in FE; I have a good job in a management role and a number of years teaching experience. I enjoy it but for the last couple of years I've wanted to move into primary teaching and last year I applied for a primary PGCE. I suppose I just assumed my application would be a strong one, given all my teaching experience; I also have 2 young children and have helped out now and again in school. I could only apply to one local provider as I needed a part-time route. Anyway, my application was turned down and the feedback was that I did not have relevant experience. Now I have the option of a generous voluntary redundancy package, I am keen to try again and to apply for a full-time PGCE this time. But I know I need to make a better application this time round. So: how can I gain the experience that I need in a primary school, when I work full-time in FE? I can't take any holiday during term time. And if I can't gain any additional experience, how can I present what I have done already more successfully second time around?

2. Hi,

You
    should contact training providers in your area to explain your position and see
    if they can recommend any experience that you can gain outside of classroom
    hours/term time that will strengthen your application; for example after school
    clubs may be an option. Once you know what sort of experience they willing to
    consider, I suggest you contact local schools to ask for experience – you can
    find contact details via www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk.

I
    wish you every success in your future career.