1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get me some CPD?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ALPS, Nov 9, 2015.

1. ALPS

ALPS New commenter

Hello chaps/chapettes,

I am looking for some help and advice on getting some CPD. On updating my resume recently, it is quite apparent how little CPD I am getting and I feel like I am becoming deskilled in my current school. I have applied to my school to be allowed on courses that I feel will be of benefit to both myself and my school but am continually turned down as it is deemed 'unfair on others' if I am allowed on a course.

I read up and research as much as possible to try to keep up to date but this does not always provide the depth of knowledge or fill the CPD box on a CV. .

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I could access training and the like (preferably free or cheapish)? I am willing to pull sickies/attend weekend courses etc

Thanks!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Please - NEVER "pull a sickie" in order to go and do something else. It's absence without permission and can result in disciplinary action, even dismissal - which will make any course you might have attended less than pointless.

3. sah79

sah79 Occasional commenter

Coursera?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well yes, it's not what you feel, it's what SLT judges will fit in with achieving their School Development Plan.

Have you tried googling? Or even - dare I mention it - actually clicked on COURSES on the menu at the top? ;)

There is a limited selection at present, especially in Secondary as most are primary-focused, although more will be added, but I would have thought that this might appeal: Outstanding Teaching

You might like to read one of my articles in the Professional Advice Hub:

No CPD to put on the application form!

If my reply has so far seemed somewhat harsh in tone, it is due entirely to this comment of yours. You should be ashamed of yourself. Moral development rather than professional development is needed here.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Unions sometimes run courses for their members - ATL has some online ones.

I don't know if you're primary or secondary, but the NCETM has online CPD modules, and there are probably similar things available for some other subjects.

As others have mentioned, for subject knowledge there are things like Coursera and Futurelearn. I also saw a Futurelearn course aimed at primary teachers, about computing in the curriculum.

Also, take a wider view of professional development; if you don't have much to put in a "courses" box on an application form, make it clear elsewhere in your application that you are doing things to develop your practice - mention your reading/research and how it's impacted on your teaching.

You might find you can do related things out of school which will double as professional development - I used to help run masterclasses in my subject, and we always reckoned that it was good CPD for the teacher helpers.

ALPS likes this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Courses at the weekends? Evenings? Holidays? Subject associations often run conferences etc.

7. ALPS

ALPS New commenter

Cheers all!

Some more avenues to explore.

By the by, of course I have Googled - I was just throwing the question out to the intellectual masses of the TES forums and just to put the Moral Police at ease - not one day off school, even as young ALPS; I merely wanted to convey my enthusiasm for learning and that.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

People often have a narrow view of what CPD is. It is not just courses. At many of the schools I have worked at, the best CPD has come from what has gone on during INSET in school, or from sessions from other staff. I am sure the sessions run by TES or by unions are good, but for the OP I do not see why your view of CPD is only about going on courses....

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Dynamo said what I was going to. What are the skills you think a particular course would teach you? Think about how you can develop those skills in other ways.
    I'm worried you think you are being deskilled. If your job doesn't challenge you (or you don't challenge yourself within that) then a few days out won't change things.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Exactly what i say in the link above! (And below)

No CPD to put on the application form!

Best wishes

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Blimey. You were lucky. INSET in our school was usually worse than useless.

ALPS likes this.
  12. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I also list some of the inset that I've done in my schools, not everything, but things that would either be relevant to the role being applied for, or those that would appeal to any role i.e. 'Attaining A/A* grades, Supporting SEN/EAL students etc.

Having changed subject focuses recently due to a dearth of vacancies in my 'home' subject, I have also done some shadowing and work with teachers of my new subject. I've listed this as I think it shows the enthusiasm and desire to learn that you wanted to show. Make it clear that it's something that you have suggested/organised/arranged etc. which will help.

13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Some of the best CPD I got was being in a car pool, especially when with someone else from the same department. We'd debrief, share ideas that work well, brainstorm ideas.