1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get into tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by emmakdonovan, Nov 1, 2015.

1. emmakdonovan

emmakdonovan New commenter

Hi,

First let me apologise I know there are 1000 trends on this subject and I have just created another one...

Here's my story:

I am looking to go back to university next year to do a masters in deaf education. While at university I am going to need to work. I am currently thinking of supply work and or tutoring. I am currently teaching KS3 to KS5 (AS level Chemistry) science.

I have QTS having completed my NQT last year. As of next year I will have one year experience as a fully QT.

I have never tutored before or done supply work, so I am asking for advice on what I need to do before I start. I have no idea if I should use an agency if I should, which ones should I use. If I do not use an agency how do I then find work?

Thanking you all in advance

2. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

Get some business cards made up and advertise in local shops - that's how I started and it can build up from there. As you tutor more children, word of mouth plays a part. I also advertised on a couple of websites on-line. Don't have as much time these days but it is a good source of extra cash.

3. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

Hi Emma,
    There are a number of good tuition agencies I can recommend to you in the London area.
    I would really recommend working with an agency as although they take a cut of the money you earn, they will be able to find more work for you more quickly than you would be able to find yourself. Good luck

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I worked through an agency years ago and found that I was offered suitable work, but after the agency fee, tax and petrol deductions, it really wasn't worth the money.

Get yourself a Facebook page set up and do a couple of sponsored posts advertising your skills. Post some screenshots of your resources (water-marked) and a picture of yourself - in professional dress.

You will have no trouble finding work for Chemistry. Once you've left your post, you can ask your colleagues to recommend you as a tutor. I'm sure there will be plenty of students who are hoping to apply to Medicine etc who will want good Science tutors and be willing to pay good money for it. Advertise in your local newspaper (it doesn't cost much) and get some posters up in local coffee shops etc.

It won't take long for word to get around. Do it now so that you hit the ground running for when you want to leave.

p.s. Don't pin your hopes on supply teaching - work can be very very scarce.
    p.p.s What area are you in? If the North East, send my a PM to my inbox as I may be able to help.