1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get into teaching in boarding schools?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by checklit, Oct 27, 2011.

1. I agree, boarding school administrators would always be looking out for the best that they can find, not necessarily all about academic merits that one has achieved but I'm sure they're also looking for someone with good character background and personality. I am glad that you're considering teaching in a christian boarding school considering the advantages it has when it comes to class size and the different atmosphere it can offer compared to a normal public school. So just do your best to introduce your great assets as a teacher to them. Through what you have written here, I'm already convinced that you can be a good addition to a faculty. Good luck!

2. v12

v12

Quite often, all other things being equal, independent schools look for the extra things you might be able to offer.

Could you help run the CCF or DoE if you're an outdoor-type?
    Are you interested in or capable of running a choir or instrumental group?
    Have you any sporting prowess on field or track?
    Could you start up a bridge or chess club?
    Are you a keen shot, or do you excel at fencing?

Just a few ideas which might remind you of something you need to mention in your covering letter.
    Most of all, you need to have an infectious enthusiasm for whatever you do - and this needs to be conveyed in any interview.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This might be of interest to you too
    How to get a job in a Boarding School?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars