1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get into management

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by OxDucky, Oct 17, 2017.

1. OxDucky

OxDucky New commenter

I was wondering if I could ask for advice about how to get the necessary experience to break into management. I am interested in different routes: head of department, of year, of other things...I'm just wondering what I need in order to be able to apply for Head of... roles. What do employers want? How can I prove I am able to become head of French, for example? I really enjoy training colleagues, is there a management role I could pursue linked to staff training and development?

I'm in my 5th year of teaching languages. So far I've run trips, created resources for my department, given talks and all sorts of other experiences related to my subject. I feel extremely well rounded as a teacher, but want to move up - please help, any advice will be gratefully received!

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Sure others will be along with more advice, but here's my take on it...

You need to do a job you want to do. Being a head of year solely to climb the ladder might well destroy you, if being a HoY isn't a role you would enjoy. It's not the same job as a HoD, though either might lead you towards further management roles later in your career.

After 5 years of experience, lots of schools would consider you to have enough experience for a HoD role, depending on how big the dept was. Take a look at some job ads and the person specifications/job descriptions, and consider which you already match and which might be gaps in your experience. Could you speak to your current line managers about ways of broadening your experience further this year with a view to applying for jobs? As long as you say it nicely, nobody is going to take offence that you might leave their school one day - it is a fact of life that not everybody stays forever.

Most management roles do involve training and development of other staff in some way. That's probably the part you can least gain experience of before actually having a line managing role. However, you can develop your qualities in this area by, for example:
    Mentoring trainees, sharing best practice in dept meetings, asking your HoD or hoy if you can lead an initiative which you introduce and monitor with colleagues, taking part in a school working party/team if the opportunity arises, etc.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Have you talked with a sensible member of your school's leadership team about your career ambitions? That would be a good starting point.

After 5 years :)

4. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

OxDucky - if you're interested in pursuing the HOD route, it sounds like you're doing the right things in terms of broadening your experience. I would suggest you continue to look for opportunities to lead on different initiatives, perhaps including leading on different items in Department meetings, and / or taking responsibility for parts of the curriculum. If your school / department has PGCE students or trainee teachers, it might be worth involving yourself with this in terms of mentoring. You are looking for examples of yourself taking responsibility and leadership opportunities to show off at interview. If you are really interested in HOD roles, 2nd i/c might be a first step to it - unless you feel you're ready for HOD itself. You'd be more than ready after 5 years in post. Good luck!

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

There is only one real answer to this - Apply for some jobs you like the look of, study the JD/PS thoroughly and prepare well for any interviews - then see what happens!

In the meantime, ensure you are fulfilling your current role to a high standard; this will impress any potential future interviewer/s within your school and help secure a strong reference for any roles you might apply for in the outside world...

Good luck.:)