1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get daytime work with school age children?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Typhoon, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

I have a home-schooled child on my books, who I see for 5-6 hours per week, during day-time hours. I wasn't especially looking to recruit home-schooled pupils, although of course was happy to take him on. His parents approached me to tutor him through one of the online services I use to advertise generally. I have been tutoring him since he was withdrawn from school during Year 8; he has now just entered what would be his Year 11, and I am solely responsible for preparing him for his IGCSE exams which he sits next summer. I know that in my area there is an LEA advisor who looks after all the home-schooled children, and makes yearly visits to them and their parents to check on what provision has been made for their education. So perhaps you could enquire whether there is somebody similar in your area, and of they know of any parents who are looking for a tutor for their home-schooled children (although a lot of parents of course withdraw their children because they prefer to educate them themselves, so it can be a difficult market to tap into.)

I don't know about the second bullet, although you couldperhaps try enquiring at your local hospital perhaps about the hospital education service?

As regards one to one tuition in schools, I registered on the government database for this, but have never heard anything via it. I was however contacted through a school where I have done supply work in the past and taught one to one there for a term last year. I now make sure that whenever I send 'on spec' letters to schools enquiring after supply work that I mention my availability for one to one tutoring as well, so sending letters out / telephoning or even popping into your local schools to introduce yourself to the head-teacher might be a way in.

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

While what you say sounds very sensible, be aware that a lot of schools hate on spec approaches-one even told me they's never use someone who applied in this way, and even hold it against them if they later applied for an advertised post. Just a warning.

3. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

That's interesting to know hhhh... in my LEA it's actually encouraged! The education website says that supply teachers looking for work can either join an agency (tried that, useless) or contact schools directly. Admittedly, sending out letters on spec does not always generate a high percentage of responses, but has kept as times kept me in supply work from several local schools.
    Why would schools not like / disapprove of the on spec approach, any idea?

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Because they are miserable ******* who don't know how the world outside schools works -------- joking of course.[​IMG]