1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get children to write creatively??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mobile2, Mar 3, 2012.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why should children be expected to write creatively any more than un-musical children should be expected to write decent tunes?

2. Minnieminx [​IMG] probably not.
    I struggled so much with writing at school, and I know why. No one actually taught me the structure of writing. I was sort of expected to pick it up through osmosis. If you find it easy, you do pick it up, but I didn't. I now try to teach the structure of writing, and the majority of it lies in how verbs are used. I know it seems a bit anally retentive to analyse writing, but for those children who struggle with writing, it's one way for them to access it (IMO)

3. How do you define someone who can't write creatively? Who is unmusical? Do we look at children and put them into categories? "You can't write creatively, so we won't bother teaching you"
    I am not creative, I would class myself as having no imagination, but I can put a decent piece of 'creative' writing together, because I understand the structure of English. If I had the interest, I would learn music, and perhaps be able to write a decent tune. Ability isn't necessarily a given thing. Most things can be learned. Some people will find it easier than others, but that doesn't mean that it's closed off to the ones who find it difficult.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I also wasn't taught anything, hence not having a clue now. But I did pick up what sounds right from avid reading. But I don't always get it right and often think about studying the technicalities of writing to learn...but then decide lazing about is more appealing.

Getting the *** to be Creative and Getting the *** to Write, both by Sue Cowley, have lots of excellent ideas for exciting children. Also YOU CAN...get children to write and YOU CAN ...have a creative classroom are also full of useable ideas.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i tend to play with words and link adjectives to a different idea,,,,,stimulating snakes.croaky swollows etc......this and use of mind maps of adjectives to link to a set of nouns.
    .even if they are silly and make us laugh.....none is barred.......but we then sort out reasonable and dowmright daft...........but i have done creative poetry based upon this idea.
    Just one hopes you can spell all the words they come ourt with lol
    one can even link many adjecitives to make up silly or huge ideas
    i also have tried similair in advebs as well.

6. Which is all very well if you're an avid reader. So many children aren't, which is why they can't form a decent piece of narrative writing, hence the need for structure .

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

I still don't get it. Why should a child be able to 'produce a decent piece of narrative writing'? Being able to hold a thread of argument and having the grammatical and vocabulary skills are surely enough for most people.
    Three or four weeks spent laboriously going over story structure, with the help of a few well-chosen extracts, is time that could be spent hearing stories wasted.

- in my opinion, for what it's worth [​IMG]

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

...and having the grammatical skills and vocabulary required for expressing yourself clearly are surely enough for most people.

All this going over story openings, characters, settings etc is probably counterproductive. How often do these children hear complete stories?

9. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter