1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get a TLR...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by StefanieMusic, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I was wondering how I go about getting a TLR in the next academic year. Do I have to wait until a possible one becomes available or can I approach my employer with an idea which would justify it or just ask for them to give me something?

Have so many ideas for things to do in school but would love for them to be recognised as they'd take up a lot of extra time.

2. I was wondering how I go about getting a TLR in the next academic year. Do I have to wait until a possible one becomes available or can I approach my employer with an idea which would justify it or just ask for them to give me something?

Have so many ideas for things to do in school but would love for them to be recognised as they'd take up a lot of extra time.

3. A friend of mine, who works in a high school, approached her Headteacher for exactly the same reasons as you - she had so many ideas she wanted to carry out, and in addition to that, she was one of only two in a department (the other being an NQT) so she essentially ran the whole thing. She got it all on paper with her expectations of what she could achieve and contribute to the school/department. They approved - she's sitting pretty in the pay stakes :)

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

A teaching and learning responsibility should carry with it additional pay, and indeed 'hours' timetabled to carry out that responsibility. All TLR roles should be defined as part of the schools transparent structure - so 'inventing' one is a no go - 'restructuring' with governing body approval is what would have to happen. Your best bet is to look out for jobs advertised as having a TLR attached.