1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to get a job

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sulis, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    just want a bit of advice, I'm a History teacher with 10 years experience; 4 as a permanent teacher and 6 as supply doing long term contracts - no fault of my own, due to way things have been allowed to go. I'm not even being called for interview now ( I suspect because I'm mps 6), stuck at home with 5 year old and 2 year old (childcare costs of £11,000 per year just to be able to go out to work), and going completely crazy staying at home.
    I've been thinking about how to make my application stand out.
    If a letter of application dropped on your desk starting;
    "Do you like being stuck at home watching Homes under the Hammer? No neither do I - which is why I am applying for the position of History teacher at your school."
    Would it catch your eye, or would it just be too much?
    Just need to be given the chance, the last 23 interviews I've been to the job has gone to either NQT, cover supervisor or it was a set up - no headteacher or governor present at interview etc.
    I'm desparate to work again - feel like the breath has been taken out of my lungs not being able to teach! I'm having to sell my possessions to pay the bills, and I never thought I'd have to live like this again.
    Thank you for you time/advice

2. Hello all,
    just want a bit of advice, I'm a History teacher with 10 years experience; 4 as a permanent teacher and 6 as supply doing long term contracts - no fault of my own, due to way things have been allowed to go. I'm not even being called for interview now ( I suspect because I'm mps 6), stuck at home with 5 year old and 2 year old (childcare costs of £11,000 per year just to be able to go out to work), and going completely crazy staying at home.
    I've been thinking about how to make my application stand out.
    If a letter of application dropped on your desk starting;
    "Do you like being stuck at home watching Homes under the Hammer? No neither do I - which is why I am applying for the position of History teacher at your school."
    Would it catch your eye, or would it just be too much?
    Just need to be given the chance, the last 23 interviews I've been to the job has gone to either NQT, cover supervisor or it was a set up - no headteacher or governor present at interview etc.
    I'm desparate to work again - feel like the breath has been taken out of my lungs not being able to teach! I'm having to sell my possessions to pay the bills, and I never thought I'd have to live like this again.
    Thank you for you time/advice

3. Sorry but I would treat it as junk mail along the lines of "do you want to save £££ a year?" type of letters. Read Theo's clickables and go to schools in person to look around before applying; these will help you stand out enough to get to interview at least.

4. I think you should steer away from novelty statements but certainly try and start your letter with a strong statement about your core teaching ethos. I would also make sure you get in OFSTED/ HT lesson on judgements and evidence of the progress the children in your classes made over a year. This is important as, unfairly, lots of HT would worry that you have only done fixed term contracts over the last few years and this is because your practice isn't up to standard. You need to address this early on and make it clear that you've voluntarily taken a career break to bring up your children as this wouldn't count against you.

5. All of the above really.
    Your letter would catch the eye, but not in a good way. Career breaks to raise a family are quite normal so that should not be an issue.
    Good luck