1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to finish my stressed work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Happywen, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Happywen

Happywen New commenter

Dear all, I need your help please.

I started teaching at a secondary school in Sep 2015. I could not cope with the huge pressure from the school (sorry, don’t want to go more details). I am currently signed off by my GP due to the Stress at Work since last week. I am now stressed of how to finish my stressed work.

I (and my GP) don’t think I can manage to work at the moment. I have decided to resign but not hand in the notice yet. According to the contract I should work for the school until April but I am not fit to work during this period at all. I contacted union rep and he simply told me to hand in the notice before 28th Feb.

I probably will do some supply teaching or restart teaching at a different school in the future after I completely recovered.

Questions:

1. Should I hand in the resignation letter now or wait until late of Feb?

2. Should I put effect data from 4th April 2016 in resignation letter? Do I still get paid after hand in the notice but off sick before April? (I am entitled 75 days sick payment)

3. If I hand in the resignation letter now can school dismiss me before 4th April? If so, what can I do? What will happen with my future reference?

4. If union rep supports me to get a comprised agreement will it affect my future career?

Sorry for these ‘silly questions‘. I appreciate very much for any advice. Thanks for your time.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

They are NOT silly questions. You are NOT alone.

I'm not equipped to answer all but someone soon will. I shall just wish you good luck.

gooddays and notsonorthernlass like this.
  3. Happywen

Happywen New commenter

Thanks for your support and understanding.

4. grumpydogwoman

1. Should I hand in the resignation letter now or wait until late of Feb? If you are sure then do the school the courtesy of giving them plenty of time. If you are NOT 100% sure then you should wait.

2. Should I put effect data from 4th April 2016 in resignation letter? Do I still get paid after hand in the notice but off sick before April? (I am entitled 75 days sick payment) You have until the 28th February to resign. That takes you up until 30th April in paid employment. The school can insist you work right up until that date. But sounds as if you'd be signed off by the doctor anyway.

3. If I hand in the resignation letter now can school dismiss me before 4th April? If so, what can I do? What will happen with my future reference? If you resign then I don't see why they would dismiss you. Or be ABLE to dismiss you. Have you done some bad things? No. Resign now and they will just recruit someone else. Your reference? It should be fair. In future applications for teaching jobs you will be asked about your absences. The reference should focus on your competence.

4. If union rep supports me to get a comprised agreement will it affect my future career? Has such an agreement been mentioned?

5. Happywen

Happywen New commenter

Thank you very much, grumpydogwoman!
    4. If union rep supports me to get a comprised agreement will it affect my future career? Has such an agreement been mentioned? No, I only know the 'agreement' by reading the other people's post here not actually talk to anybody yet. By the way, I didn't do anything bad apart from my sick absence.
    Extra question: My union rep seems not very keen to contact me (e.g. he did not reply my messages since last week, maybe too busy?) I do need help. So could I contact my union center to ask for the further support?
    Thank you.

6. grumpydogwoman

These agreements are really a way of you getting out when maybe a cloud hangs over you and they kinda want rid of you but you don't want a bad reference. There's usually been some sort of stand-off and rather than slug it out at a tribunal and risk 'losing' both sides agree to a compromise. You go and they don't jeopardise your future.

That doesn't sound like you.

You've been off for a while with stress and you will be asked about your attendance and will have to be honest at that point.

The union? You pay your subs so they can do their job and serve you. Ring someone else. Maybe the fella is off sick. Don't read anything into it. It'll be nothing. Might reflect the pickle half the teaching profession is in these days and the call for their services. You persist until you get the answers you need.

FrankWolley likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some really useful advice there from @grumpydogwoman .

Unions are overwhelmed with cases at the moment, is my guess, they can't keep up with everyone. Nag them!

Don't worry about being dismissed, just worry about getting your health back. It's not actually that long to Easter hols, about 7 weeks, a good rest at home will really do you good.

Just check that on here Sick leave and Sick pay , you'll see that it's only full pay for 25 days, the other 50 days are half pay. However that's a great deal more than you would be getting in most other jobs, so you can feel pleased about that. And if you are well enough and can get your Dr to say that you can go back for the last day of term (or longer if you are well, but certainly the last day), you would then get full pay during the holidays. :)

If you DO decide to hand in your notice, read these two articles:

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school this is relevant even though not going to a school

How to resign - get that resignation letter right!

Many people find that just the very act of putting in their resignation makes them feel immediately better, less stressed. Who knows - you might be able to go back to school for the last bit of the term, if you feel better.

And I hope that you do feel better soon.

Best wishes

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

With so many teachers being forced out of their jobs at the moment through WRS and/or bullying; has there not come a time where the unions can take a school to court over the harm being caused by schools to their staff. Maybe a test case?

Something does need to happen because looking at these pages WRS is at epidemic proportions.

9. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

My OH doctor said I was not to make a decision about resigning until I was well enough to not make a panicked decision...I knew I wouldn't get well until I knew I was leaving. My union rep negotiated an early release with an agreed reference and three months salary...and now I have a new part time post which I am thoroughly enjoying. I was asked by the new LEA about my absence but nothing has happened...I'm doing well and they have nothing to complain about.
    Keep your chin up...there is light ahead and no job is worth the grief this one is giving so many of us.

10. Happywen

Happywen New commenter

Dear all, thanks for all the helpful advice and comments. I feel much better now. THANK YOU.

11. Happywen

Happywen New commenter

Dear all, following the previous enquirers:
    I will hand in the resignation letter next week and then with my Dr’s notice I will be off work until end of April and get paid (or half paid).
    Question: Am I allowed to apply for a new job during this period of time? Will school provide me a good /normal reference?
    My union Rep says I can apply for any new job before April. Can I? Please could anybody confirm it?
    Many thanks for your time!

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hope that the stress starts to melt away, now you have made that decision.

If you are working, of course you can apply for a job at any time. But when you are on sick leave it is not so easy to do so without getting the agreement of the Head, because sick leave should not be used to attend interviews.

I am attaching a document from ATL which may be useful.

It is essential that you get the Head's agreement to attend interviews when you are on sick leave, therefore best to approach him or her before you apply.

As for the actual reference, you need to talk to your union about this too, and pronto.

Best wishes

Attached Files:

13. grumpydogwoman

What @TheoGriff said. Re applications. That's the gold-standard answer.

What kind of reference? Well, you'll be honest with a new employer when they ask you about your absence record. That won't go away. It may not matter a jot. The reference should be factual and not make vindictive comments about your health. It should focus on your competence and performance.

14. Happywen

Happywen New commenter

Thanks for the advice but Who is CORRECT?

Just talked to one my union (Axx) adviser but received different answer: I can just hand in the resignation letter and wait until for my leaving - end of April, school cannot do anything, union doesn’t need to get involved; during this time I can apply for a new job.
    Maybe I should forward the ATL Being off Sick document to my union? They are supposed to be very professional.

I cannot take any risk to do something silly. I need correct answer!!!

15. grumpydogwoman

...any activities that are inconsistent with your sick leave. From the ATL doc.

This is what I would do. I am assuming you are not on bad terms with your HT.

1. Call the HT and say they can expect your resignation letter next week.
    2. Admit that your ill-health is connected with your workplace but that you need to look for work elsewhere.
    3. ASK if the HT has any objection to your applying for jobs at this point.
    4. THEN ask the HT if they would countenance your attending an interview BEFORE April 30th.
    5. Explain again that your sickness is (sadly) associated exclusively with your work NOW and that you don't feel an interview would set back your health.
    6. Say that, without their agreement, you will not attend any interviews from now until 30th April.

That's a lot to say. You could ask your union contact to explain it to the HT but it's better coming from you.

If you and the HT have had a falling-out then it may not be worth even trying. Only you know. They are perfectly within their rights to insist you don't attend an interview.

16. Happywen

Happywen New commenter

17. grumpydogwoman

Let us know how things go and you can always come back for more help.

Hope everything works out for you! @Happywen