1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to find teaching jobs in South America

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by wgm2, Jan 23, 2019.

1. wgm2

wgm2 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I've searched the internet high and low to find qualified teaching jobs in South America and I can't find any being advertised. Does anyone know any good websites which advertise international teaching jobs in South America?

Many thanks
    Will

2. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Some advertise here, on TES, or you could try http://www.teachers-latin-america.com/ - I got a nice offer through them some time back.

Remember though that because the seasons are 6 months out of phase with the Northern hemisphere, recruitment for those schools which follow a southern calendar can also happen at different times of the year.

Good luck

3. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Hi.

There are many schools with differing qualities, locations and packages.

As said above, hiring season can be dependent on southern hemisphere academic year.

Posts are available for July start too though

Many American curriculum schools will still follow northern hemisphere year.

Look at school websites and consider joining Search.

What's your subject?

There are some jobs in Rio advertised on TES now

Bytor

4. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

This is the equivalent of applying in September as most schools start their academic year in January. There are indeed jobs out there, however, if you are looking for an immediate start you couldn’t be applying at a worse time of year for South America.

5. little_miss_indigo

little_miss_indigo New commenter

I’m currently teaching at a school in Brazil. I applied around this time last year and my position started in July (my school follows the northern hemisphere calendar). The position (primary) was advertised on TES.

6. Teachallover

I am a suitable job will soon arise.

7. Teachallover

8. Zimrilim

Zimrilim New commenter

Hello wgm2, Salaries in general are appalling here and life is not as cheap as published. Im6 in Ecuador and so far so average. You choose between travel or a decedent lifestyle. You put up with Min of Ed rules which are ridiculous because the current government hates private and bilingual schools. I would not recommend this country at the moment but the decision is yours. By the way, beware of the obligatory local HoDs by government decree who can't tell their a... from their elbow. Suerte.

9. amariB

amariB New commenter

Search Associates had lots in South/Central America when I was applying in that area a few years back. It's quite late in the season for Northern Hemisphere (August.Sept start) schools though.

10. wgm2

wgm2 New commenter

Thank you I will check it out.

11. wgm2

wgm2 New commenter

Excellent, my profile is pending so I hope it will be accepted soon. Many thanks.

12. wgm2

wgm2 New commenter

Thanks everyone. I'm looking at Sept/ next Jan. I want to keep an eye out from now. I'm just looking for websites/agencies advice, nothing else. Thanks

13. wgm2

wgm2 New commenter

Thank you

14. wgm2

wgm2 New commenter

Thanks but I didn't ask about your opinion of area. I don't think you should judge ALL of South America based on your experience.

15. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

TES, Search Associates, CIS and the IBO website will be your best chance as for most international jobs, Gabbitas used to have the odd one or two, but as other posters have said recruitment is largely over as the new school year starts in February/March except for one or two American schools that run a US Calendar despite being in the southern hemisphere.

Zimrilim is talking very generalised nonsense of course, every country has its own rules and take on 'international schools', and it certainly is not a reason to avoid Latin America. Maybe Ecuador is different. I would say that salaries tend to be lower than other places around the world but the well established schools do have to pay a competitive salary or they would not be able to recruit good staff. the other thing to bear in mind is that most schools do not fit the usual international school profile, they are often schools for rich locals rather than for any expat community, and of cousre American style schools can dominate as students that do not go to local universities tend to go to the US, although some do go to Spain and the UK.
    Good Luck.

PS Zimrilim is correct in one thing the travel opportunities are excellent!!!

16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

An unnecessarily snotty reply to a poster who took the trouble to contribute to the discussion. This is an open forum and starting a topic doesn't mean that the OP owns it or can limit its area of reference. It also seems to me that a person's first-hand experience is of considerable value. Or would anybody like to borrow my copy of the South American Handbook which I discovered to be quite comically out of date when I bought it in 1992?

towncryer likes this.
  17. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

No jobs? Funny, I just found 31 jobs advertised here - https://www.tieonline.com/job_ads_list.Cfm? - it's a cheap site to join and get the job info. Do you mean you need more than that to be going on?

The advice about schools being on a southern hemisphere timetable is only partially correct. Countries like Colombia and Venezuela (bit dangerous there at the moment!) are northern hemisphere, plus of the best international schools in South America a number are on northern hemisphere timetables anyway. Of those many tend to be more American-leaning but they have the best packages and reputations anyway.

For savings potential, I'd say that Lima has a few schools where you can do quite well in (all schools are southern hem. timetables expect the American school there) and Venezuela was also very good for that, but obviously you might want to wait and see how things pan out there first!

Oh, and do your research about "British" schools. Some have a Union Jack draped somewhere and that's about as British as you'll get. The rest is a local school with a name and some foreigners so they can sell the school as international, but in reality you'll work yourself to the bone for a pittance and to finance the owner's new wheels....