1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to find out about a school district? Why do I want to work in this county?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 23, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That seems to me just what you need to say! And if you have family links too, add that.
    Do look carefully at the local authority website to find aout a bit about it, although I doubt if you will find school policies there. You could also pick a few typical schools and look at their websites for ideas.
    You might also like to read this:
    Pools, what they are, and how they work
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Indeed. Commitments to the area, and to helping the children in that area achieve, is the first essential. What I look for is some evidence that you really want to work in my area and with the children in the schools that I look after, and also that you know what area you're applying to (for example, the candidate who wrote 'I'm applying to teach in Luton because I really want to work in small rural primary schools' didn't trouble the scorers at the last shortlisting meeting, though we do still have the occasional giggle as I wander round my primaries (urban, average size 3 form entry). You could also talk about how working in that particular area will benefit you as an individual. So for example, an applicant to me could talk about how working in a school here would give valuable professional experience of EAL, and multi-cultural classrooms. In a Shire county, it could be some particular leisure interest that working in that area will allow you to pursue (evidence that you are able to have some sort of life outside teaching is no bad thing, as long as you have made it clear that the commitment to the children you will be teaching is in the forefront of your mind). NQTs might also want to talk about the induction support that they will receive, and that's something you should be able to find out about through the LA website.