1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to find a school that does not teach jolly phonics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sysky, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jollyphonics is unlogical and for dumb people.

my daughter is smart and a lefty and teachers repeatedly ignore me stating this that she still writes backwards and upside down, they cant read it they cant understand it as they are not smart enough.

Jolly phonics does not make sense to a logical mind, I can not even retain it as the motion and sound do not correspond with the letter and word it will turn into!

I am very smart, and this is getting on my nerves that teachers talk to me and other parents like we are children and my IQ probably way surpasses that of most of them, yet they do not listen.

now in year 2 my child still struggles to join the words, yes I will not use blend as the word is incorrect!
    however it also turns out that pretty much all the children that can read on quite high levels dont understand a single word they read, they can not as the teacher said "comprehend" which is not very useful considering that I think about 1/4 of the class is polish.

I have also only just found out that the children have been taught french since reception without us having been informed about this. English and French are so majorly different its unreal when you consider how early they push this on the children and will confuse every child bar 1 that speaks french at home as his dad is!

Now I want to know if there is any schools out there that still teach without jolly phonics, but properly!

2. there are many many schools JP is old hat!

3. Just reread - would you have written illogical rather than unlogical if you had proper teaching yourself?

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

You should definitely homeschool.

5. ojala

ojala New commenter

Fetch me a broom! I need to make some sweeping statements!

Erm, actually, you would be hard pushed to find two more similar languages among those that are commonly taught in this country. Learning a foreign language reinforces everything they learn in English and, most of all, children that age really enjoy it. But then you're so smart you probably know that already.

6. ojala

ojala New commenter

PS Set your daughter a good example - use capital letters and punctuate.

7. deeley

deeley New commenter

What utter utter....

Two kids, both super readers, both had jolly phonics, both left handed...go figure!

I spy with my little eye...

8. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Personally, I think systems are often okay for the purpose but people don't enter into the spirit that they were devised in. JP may be old hat but, like Letterland, it works if you're keen on it and use it solely for the stage it is for. I heard a helper 'sounding out' the word 'he' the other day - /h/+/e/ ain't never gonna make 'he' and it is very confusing for children to over-extend any phonic teaching system.
    Sadly left-handers have to join the majority or face being 'wrong' in many situations where they are expected to move left-to-right even if they feel it's superior to go the opposite way. Not everyone can be Leonardo and get away with it - and even he may have had to wait for years for recognition.
    Reading for comprehension is one of my favourite hobby horses. The good readers may understand every single word (except non-content words) in spite of what you say - it's words in company that fox them. There are ways to improve on that. For children using English as a second language, it would be doubly important to build in the checking. But it doesn't take away from their achievement with recognising written words.
    Although a few children cannot cope with two languages from birth, there are many cultures where everyone speaks several languages. I can't see why you feel the school has behaved badly by introducing a bit of French - let's face it, it would be good if a few more of us spoke another European language instead of assuming everyone will speak English.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

his dad is ???
    Home school ... then your child can write just like you [​IMG]

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Surely that should be ....'then your child can write just like what you do?'
    [​IMG]

11. Msz

Well the helper should know that the "e" in he represents the <ee> phoneme so I would say the children aren't being extended at all ... It's the next step after teaching one grapheme representation to teach the alternative

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What a fabulous thread (opening post) to wake up to on a Sunday morning!

13. Msz

It made me laugh [​IMG]

14. I don't really get TES trolls (apart from the ones on opinion). Surely the point of it is to annoy people and laugh at their reaction? I don't see any anger here!

15. No but there's a lot of laughter!

16. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

In reply to Msz: I wasn't making any judgement on the children's progress - I was commenting on the need to avoid over-application of the <u>system</u> in order not to confuse children. Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly. I would have been all in favour of the adult saying 'The sounds in this word are /h/ /ee/.' Have you never heard adults in school sounding out a word with a sound for every letter when those sounds are irrelevant to the word in question? 'Through' is my favourite.

17. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

There are many, many schools who don't use JP. Mine doesn't. But I'm too smart to tell you where it is.

18. Msz

I'm pleased to say I haven't.

19. ojala

ojala New commenter

Ohhhh, I was looking forward to reading the OP's next post.

20. I not sure where to start. Jolly Phonics has been used in my school with success.
    You feel that your IQ is greater than that of the teachers - what evidence to you have to support this ?.
    Polish should have a capital letter.
    Find that hard to believe. Not that they teach French but that you didn't know.
    Have you tested the children personally ?.
    Maybe you should make an appointment with the Head to raise all the concerns you have here as we are unable to help.