1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to fill the time (and earn a few bob?)

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by albertdog, Jul 14, 2011.

1. I wonder if anyone has some ideas of how to fill the time and, if possible, how to earn a few bob, to suplement the pension. I have tried supply teaching, CS & LA but no takers. I have tried to find other work but, again, who would look at a 61 year old. I have approached charities for voluntary work, but unless you have experience, an accountancy qualification or an estate car or a van, none of the them are interested. Further study is ferociously expensive; not to mention that my thesis has been gathering dust on the shelf for 35 years.

Any ideas?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Dog walking, house cleaning, gardening, odd jobbing.

3. Volunteer in a local school? That way they get to know you, you happen to mention you might a little supply....hopefully all fruitful! Am I really going to be so bored next year? Please tell me I am not!

4. I tried volunteering in schools, mail-shotting every school within a five mile radius of me, but none replied. Have you any secrets as to how to get them to take notice of you?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why did you retire if you are so keen to go on working?

6. Dodros

Dodros Established commenter

Your message certainly resonated with me. I remained in full-time teaching until the age of 61 and I was determined to have something to retire to as well as to have something to retire from. Early in my career I witnessed how one well-respected teacher in a responsible promoted post was looking forward to a peaceful retirement of gardening, only to die within the first year. I think we all need that "good stress" that keeps us getting out of bed each morning to replace the "bad stress" of worry about league tables, exam results, pointless paperwork etc. I'm convinced that a lack of any stress, good or bad, can be a killer.
    My response to keeping occupied outside school hours was, like you, to study and I earned an MA in German and an MEd in comparative education along the way. Neither had an impact on my career, but I enjoyed doing them. My brother pointed out that there were alternatives to university-supported study with its deadlines and twilight sessions with knackered teachers, and that was to combine my love of travel and study by submitting an astract to an international or national educational conference. Because I was the only secondary school teacher to apply, I got to do my presentations at conferences in Japan, Canada and Hungary, taking time off to see the sights. I enjoyed doing the presentations and I found myself being invited to write articles and to conduct workshops, activities that continue even though I retired three years ago.
    Another thing I did was to do voluntary work at the school I last taught in. I worked in special needs and did some 1:1 tuition with students with literacy problems. I also helped with the admin work of the special needs department. As a committed bachelor, I wanted to cling on to as many social groups as possible in retirement, and that included my colleagues at work. From what I've seen, loneliness can also be a real killer and I was determined to stay busy and keep my social contacts as long as I could.
    Your message demonstrates how difficult it is to break into existing social groups unless you have something substantial to offer. It's ironic, isn't it, that voluntary and charitable groups are happy to take people's money but are reluctant to offer people with time on their hands an opportunity to fill that time with something socially useful and personally fulfilling. If, like me, academic study is important to you, you don't need to shell out big bucks for university courses. The conferences I attended didn't cost more than a holiday would, particularly because they're often held in university halls of residence with few facilities that would otherwise be empty during the vacations. Studying, say, a foreign language at an evening class doesn't cost much either.

7. Go and knock on doors, not flyers. You could be any body, a nutter! A face with a request is always best.

8. don't write letters, let people see the face and then they can judge the character better.

9. I had no choice, nutella. I could not get a job after returning from injury

10. Voluntary work - have you tried the local talking newspaper? Great fun and helps others too.

11. But what voluntary work? As I have said, in my experience, voluntary organisations are very picky. When I was touting myself as a potential volunteer, two questions kept arising: 'have you accounting experience' and 'how big is your car/van'.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You could join the U3A. They have loads of groups and activities.

13. All I needed for talking newspaper was being able to read and being able to speak clearly!
    (And if a teacher can't do that....)

14. Hi there
    We had a man from a translation company came and gave a speech to my sixth fomers about business. His company does translation on packaging and all of his translators work from home. How about this kind of freelance work? Our MFL teacher met him and they chatted about how lucrative traslation work could be. He said it was hard to find good translators with written skills, did you say you had an MA in German? A quick search on yell.com would throw up some possible companies in your home area. Most of the work could be sent via e-mail.
    Hope that is helpful :0)

15. one to one tuition in primary schools. Approach the LA co-ordinator about how to register.

16. Hi,
    There is a huge need in Australia for English tutors who are willing to come to the home. Retired teachers are often the most sought after however i guess the question is how much you are willing to work for. Students charge about 20-25 per hour so i guess i would think about the 30-35 per hour to remain competitive. Yet there are some teachers charging 60.00 per hour. Guess depends on your expertise and whether you want to do lots of tutoring or none.
    I am a speech pathologist and my clients are always looking for English or Math tutors for there kids. I would suggest linking with your local paediatric speech pathologist as often child with language difficulties will have English and Math difficulties.
    Hope you find work soon.

17. Have you tried marking??

18. Thank you everyone, for your fascnating suggestions. I have no facility in German, or any other language, so that is not a route down which I can go. I have tried the sort of jobs some of you describe, such as distributing free newspapers, leaflets and the like but nothing has come of it. I have registered as a 1-2-1 tutor ( the Govt scheme, which was specifically for those with QTS) and joined a couple of tutoring agencies but, again, nothing ever came of this. I had a couple of leads from the LA co-ordinator, which I followed up only to find that the school had decided not go offer 1-2-1 tuition after all. (I think the money for this was not 'ring fenced', so it just disappeared into the general maw).
    Come to think of it, I have had slightly more success with paid work than with voluntary work. I know that times are hard but I was amazed at how difficult it is to offer your services for nothing. A local charity shop had a notice in its window, asking for volunteers. When I 'enquired within' I found that they really only wanted people with experience of shop work. Of what what they were short is people to go around collecting and delivering old clothes, books, etc, This took me back to a question previously posed to me, when trying to find voluntary work, 'have you got a big car or a van?'
    I have applied to three examination boards, which advertised for markers, but none of these replied.

19. Sorry to hear about the marking, this pays for our holidays, my OH does it!