1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to explain the strike to pupils?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moggycat, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Unfortunately I am not with a union that is striking and have to go to school tomorrow,(I teach year 6) I know some of the kids have been asking why teachers in other schools are striking and I would like to have a suitable answer ready, without getting too political, if they ask me. Any ideas? Thanks

2. My daughters asked what the strike was about yesterday and I told them it was because Mr Cameron, Mr Clegg and Mr Gove (*spit*) were being so naughty towards hardworking people. I underlined the fact that those men are very Bad Men and were taking money away from people that are working hard for it. They seemed to accept that and my youngest (aged 6) thinks that Mr Gove/Clegg/Cameron would all benefit from a long sit on the naughty step to have a think about their actions.
    Not that I'm trying to indoctrinate my children against the present government mind[​IMG]

3. Not that in trying to look lefty and caring thr previous govt spent money they didnt have giving it to people who'd done **** all to deserve it, both here and abroad? That the reckless borrowing and lending (consumr-led) had turned us from boom to bust?

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

"Some teachers are striking for the day because of changes to the way they work. I haven't yet been asked to vote on the changes so I'm here today doing my job as normal."

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

what it is,like

well you know when youz had got a blackburry, ainit,

and they charge you da earth at £15 a monf for 24 monfs.
    well it would be like them saying 'nah, we iz gonna stick the price up to £40, or loads of mulla, like' and there is nada youz can do cos you has given your word brov to pay.

6. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Up here in God's Own Country I would need to translate that into Standard English and then again into dialect. It would end up being like one of those Instruction Manuals which have come to English from the original Korean via Japanese!

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

My students are little militant tykes and wanted to go and protest too.

8. Several of mine too. I explained it very simply and I hope without bias (The government wants to take more money when you get paid, but give you less when you do retire), and they all said that it wasn't fair and that they agreed with me striking.
    Their finely developed sense of what is fair and not fair does have it's benefits!

9. Point out the unfairness which is the cause of the strike- how two-faced the government are with their MPs' and ministers' pensions, and how other public servants like the police can retire earlier on more money despite their lesser educations, how teachers will have to do a stressful job into their late sixties for less money.

10. I said it was a bit complicated and they should ask their parents.
    I was asked as I was trying to hustle 29 children out of the door, 5 minutes late for their parents, during a thunderstorm, on a day when my TAs were late or just didn't arrive at all due to a traffic accident blocking off the road, I'd been observed by SMT and we'd had a 3 hour powercut that had set the burglar alarm off.
    I wasn't feeling able to cope with sensitive political debates with 6 year olds!

11. lily - doesn't 'unfortunately we haven't had a government in living memory who have given a flying brief relationship for those who study, train and work for their living but are not eye-wateringly rich' cover both angles?