1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how to explain style and genre...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by roz1982, May 5, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I am currently doing revision for yr 11 gcse written exam AQA and many of the pupils still do not understand the difference between style and genre and to fully explain/describe this in thier answer (section a;01) I am quite clear on genre being the type of theatre and feel I can explain that to them but am struggling to figure out how to clearly explain what style something is - the way I see it is that style is the way theatre or performance looks and how it is made (like dramatic form) but I am also aware that style and genre can be very similar if not the same thing! My brighter pupils can grasp that its not black and white, but some other pupils need more clear explanation and guidance... Does anyone have any suggestions???

Ta, Roz

2. Hello!
    I am currently doing revision for yr 11 gcse written exam AQA and many of the pupils still do not understand the difference between style and genre and to fully explain/describe this in thier answer (section a;01) I am quite clear on genre being the type of theatre and feel I can explain that to them but am struggling to figure out how to clearly explain what style something is - the way I see it is that style is the way theatre or performance looks and how it is made (like dramatic form) but I am also aware that style and genre can be very similar if not the same thing! My brighter pupils can grasp that its not black and white, but some other pupils need more clear explanation and guidance... Does anyone have any suggestions???

Ta, Roz

3. Keep it simple - tell them that the style of the piece is the method by which the piece is communicated to the audience. For instance a piece that uses a lot of direct address to the audinece could be termed as 'non-naturalstic' in style. At the other of the scale if they are wearing period costume and not referencing the audience directly and the whole piece is set in one continuous timeframe then it lends itself to a 'naturalstic style'. The difficulty comes when they have a very abstract set but a highly naturalstic approach to the performance of the characters. They just need to say that the piece had both elements of the naturalistic and non-natralstic styles.

4. Sorry about the spelling but I'm in a rush[​IMG]

5. Style is simply a distinctive way of doing something.
    Start with what they know - music; ask them to think about musical styles - hip hop, country and western, R&B etc. Painting - impressionism, cubism etc. Fashion - goth, mod, chav etc. All styles have 'rules' ie the distinctive elements that define the style; for example a blues has 12 bars, 3 chords and a defined chord progression.
    It's a waste of time trying to clearly define the difference between style and genre for your students; some things, like blues, are both a style and a genre. Sometimes a genre is collection of similar styles. Even I get confused.
    Think beyond theatre to dramatic styles in general - watch a 'soap' and ask the students to outline the style - short scenes; parochial language; mostly scenes with 2 characters and a cliff hanger at the end. They should be able to understand that.
    Think about the rules for naturalism; the 4th wall; pseudo realistic dialogue; a naturalistic scene: runs at 'real time', is in one location only and the actors play only one character.
    When there is a move away from naturalism to more stylised work it sometimes better to define the style by who is doing it - there is a 'Kneehigh' style. There is a 'Gecko' style. '1927' have a highly orginal style like no other. It is possible to define each of their styles. Show your students examples.

6. Thanks for suggestions some good stuff there. Svengali, reckon your right about the naturalistic/non naturalistic approach I feel thats the way forward, the bright ones can elaborate a bit and it's simple enough for the rest! Ta

7. Thank you, yes very helpful and makes me feel better as I have been using some of the explanations and approaches you have mentioned.

8. what tasks can you give them to understand it?

9. really complecated