1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to eradicate cat wee wee smell?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I shut one of the cats in the drawing room last night and I am afraid he has had a large wee wee on the settee. The cushion is really thick - about 8 or 10 inches and it has soaked through. I whipped it off and have soaked the cover and the cushion itself in Bold. I can't get to the middle of the cushion though, and there must be undiluted wee in it. Lovely. I am very conscious of the smell and I don't know how bad it is - you know when the smell is in your nose? I do have some Febreze type stuff, which I have sprayed on. I don't have any bicarb I don't think - and they didn't have any in the supermarket. If anyone has any tips for getting rid I would be soooo grateful.

2. I shut one of the cats in the drawing room last night and I am afraid he has had a large wee wee on the settee. The cushion is really thick - about 8 or 10 inches and it has soaked through. I whipped it off and have soaked the cover and the cushion itself in Bold. I can't get to the middle of the cushion though, and there must be undiluted wee in it. Lovely. I am very conscious of the smell and I don't know how bad it is - you know when the smell is in your nose? I do have some Febreze type stuff, which I have sprayed on. I don't have any bicarb I don't think - and they didn't have any in the supermarket. If anyone has any tips for getting rid I would be soooo grateful.

3. Time, and spray, spray, spray. You will smell it for ages, others might not as, as you say, smell in your nose. There are some neutralizing granules pet shops have, but you are probably as well off with bicarb. Lavender oil (or similar) also good! Good luck!

4. Thanks. A friend is coming to pick me up tonight - I will have to keep her talking at the door! I have got some Dettol spray for the bacteria. I keep on coming in and out and trying to see if I can smell it! Will light a scented candle as well.

5. Why not put the cushion outside/in a shed for a few days? That way the smell will not pervade your stting room.

6. Shake a load of bicarb on & leave, the hoover off, then get a bowl of warm water with bio washing powder & bicarb and use a cloth and have a good go at it, then use clean water & cloth & let dry. My husband heard this on Five live with Aggy from How clean is your house re a cat who peed in the car on way to vet. x

7. I think the cushion cover will probably be OK, it is scotchguarded and pretty well dry now, despite being soaked a few hours ago. I might brave unpicking the seam of the cushion as well, I don;t think anything will get through it to tackle the inside wee wee unless I do that - it will dilute it but not tackle it properly.
    Bauble I have stuck it in the conservatory for now, it will dry quicker in there as well, it is like a sauna today.
    Anyone want a naughty cat? actually it wasn't that one who was being naughty, another one was and I shut the door to prevent her dashing back in there, not realising he was still in there.
    Thanks for your advice.

8. Incense sticks or burning pine cones?

9. Hi Gorgy! I have had similar problems. And the cat will tend to go back to the same spot if they can smell their old urine. When you use Febreze or Dettol it SEEMS to work, but there are tiny crystals in the cat urine which are reactivated and so the smell keeps coming back

I dread being the lady with the house that smells of cat pee!!

I found this product called 'urine off'

http://www.petfresh.co.uk/

and it does work. I have had to peel back carpet to get to the underlay (when I had thoroughly shampooed the carpet and thought the small was gone) and the cat pee smell knocked me back even weeks later, yuk. But this stuff does the job. Apparently it has enzymes in it which eat a way at the smelly crystals.

I've also bought 'Zorb it Up ' from the same site which is a container of highly absorbent powder which you can sprinkle on 'accidents' including vomit and it quickly dehydrates the offending matter.

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Use the cushion to smother the cat, then throw it away (the cushion and the cat).
    Problem solved it won't happen again. [​IMG]

11. :O

shocking!

another thought I had was to take the cushion to an upholsterer and get a new inside.

12. Thanks for the suggestions. Since I posted I shut him in there abloodygain and he has weed abloodygain inn the same place. This was a few weeks ago and it is still slightly redolent. I will have to get that stuff. As far as the cushion goes I did think of asking DFS for another cushion. I got extra cushions when I bought the suite and they were about 50 quid each though so I think this base one would be around £200. Bit of a dear do, but it is singularly unpleasant constantly wondering if the smell is me or the settee.

13. Didn't the incense sticks work, then?!
    *ducks*

14. I got a bit fed up Seapink of the aroma of patchouli drifting around the house and various hippies knocking at the door asking if I could sell them a bit of blow. I have some left over, if you would like it.

15. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I'll have it, it reminds me of a girl I used to know.
    Thanks.

Biological washing powder is our preferred method.
    A lot of cleaning products leave an ammoniac smell that attracts cats.

16. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Don't own cats.