1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to ensure your lesson is the right balance between “spoon-feeding” & “independent learning?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by z_a_39, Jul 3, 2020.

1. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

During all of the demo lessons I have done since I became an NQT (last year) I have received varied feedback, from the fact I “spoon-feed” the students too much information and don’t allow them to think, to the other end of the spectrum that I don’t hold the students’ hands enough during the lesson. I’ve taught the way I was moulded by my teachers and mentors during my PGCE so am confused on what else I can do…

My question is…what kind of activities are the best for this and how do you convey such a perfect balance in a lesson? I have to teach a PSHE lesson coming up and dread making such potential pitfalls again.

Thanks a lot.

2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Suppose the lesson hinges on a question, i.e " What will be the effects of this pandemic on UK society?" (kind of thing.)
    Student need to ask themselves " What do we need to know in order to answer this question?"
    Students can then confer and come up with a list.
    You provide a list of information (relevant/non -relevant). Student decide which bit they'll use to provide an answer.

You're creating an unseen scaffold but also allowing for independence of thought and collaborative learning ?
    Info on walls, help boxes, challenge boxes etc.

Hope this helps !

alex_teccy and needabreak like this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree Questioning technique is key . I used to deliver sessions on this ( practical and theory ) for ITT . Happy to send you the PPTs if you provide a contact e mail add.

4. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

So imagine that question was at the final activity of an interview lesson, how would you go about scaffolding the information to ensure you're ticking the boxes of allowing the students to think as well as providing them support?

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'd ask which bits of the information they'd picked up in the lesson had helped them reach the conclusion.
    Perhaps, I'd mention earlier in the LO that we'd be tackling a big question at the end and for them to note information as we went...

I wouldn't put such a question at the end.... us it as the main lesson and include a summary write-up at the end.

6. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

So do you kind of slip the main questions of the lesson into the learning objectives? And how do you scaffold objectives for a demo lesson? Like...
    L1: Understand
    L2: Describe
    L3: Explain

OR

L1: Describe
    L2: Assess
    L3: Evaluate

Know what I mean?

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter