1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How to ensure your lesson is the right balance between “spoon-feeding” & “independent learning?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by z_a_39, Jul 3, 2020.

1. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

During all of the demo lessons I have done since I became an NQT (last year) I have received varied feedback, from the fact I “spoon-feed” the students too much information and don’t allow them to think, to the other end of the spectrum that I don’t hold the students’ hands enough during the lesson. I’ve taught the way I was moulded by my teachers and mentors during my PGCE so am confused on what else I can do…

My question is…what kind of activities are the best for this and how do you convey such a perfect balance in a lesson? I have to teach a PSHE lesson coming up and dread making such potential pitfalls again.

Thanks a lot.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well it's like most things in teaching, you will find the balance by investigating what is needed.

Different groups may need more independent opportunities and other groups, or even groups within a class may need different levels of support. There is no one size fits all. As you develop relationships with children and gain more experience you will build up a picture of which particular students fit which group. It's all about differentiation and adapting what you do. So even time of day, what lesson they've just come from and how tired students are on a particular day, can al affect how well they cope.

The trick is to be adaptable and have plans A.B & C and often I've adapted my approach as students come through the door, as I realise what I had planned and how to do it would have to go out the window.

agathamorse, ACOYEAR8 and steely1 like this.
  3. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

With a mixed-ability Key Stage 3 class, that you are doing as part of an interview, what is the best way to differentiate without knowing who's who and just to really make a good impression?

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Make sure your materials are are on page, grey background for dyslexia, and offer a variety of options for all. Those who feel up for challenges will take them....

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As I replied on your other thread
    'I would definitely do the 'pre-lesson assessment bit' at the start to show you are aware of knowing the strengths/weaknesses of the actual class in front of you and don't just 'plough on regardless' and can differentiate / change your lesson if need be, based on that observation ' combined with ' plans A.B & C' to adapt the lesson based on that preliminary assessment. Part of the observer's objectives will be to see how quickly you can assess a class and the different abilities within it and then adapt any lesson planning you have prepared.
    That second part answers your question how ' to really make a good impression?' - your ability to react to the class/individuals in front of you and how you interact with them in addition to how well the actual lesson goes down and any planning they see.(Make sure you have a copy for the observer, which you hand to them as soon as you possibly can.)

6. a_h_hedjazi93

a_h_hedjazi93 New commenter

Your rule of thumb is to always have grey background for dyslexia?

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Yes

8. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

I usually put a blue background with yellow textboxes. I just thought a grey background with black writing makes the lesson seem dull. Do you not use presentation to make it eye-catching in some way?

9. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

There are various colour backgrounds but grey apparently works for all.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.